Mk IV, Whippet tracks?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Mk IV, Whippet tracks?

Mark Rethoret
Mark Rethoret

March 20th, 2004, 4:43 pm #1

Can any one here give me the skinny on after market tracks for these tanks in 1/35?
Who makes them and how good are they?

Mark

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

March 20th, 2004, 6:48 pm #2

The only ones I can comment on are the Accurate Armour Whippet tracks, which come as a number of separate links plus several long lengths, all in resin. The latter are bent sideways on my example &mdash when seen from above, that is. I haven't tried straightening them out yet because I haven't finished the rest of my Whippet's track units, but I think a hair dryer should be able to correct the curve. Other than that, the tracks look accurate to me, and the set also comes with a full set of grouser blocks to hang onto the tank, which look very good, too.

Hans Haase
Hans Haase

March 20th, 2004, 9:07 pm #3

Can any one here give me the skinny on after market tracks for these tanks in 1/35?

Mark
Greatmodels.com has listed a track set from Model Cellar productions in 1/35. Quality unknown, only a couple dollars less than the Accurate Armour.

-Hans

Gilles Thomas
Gilles Thomas

March 21st, 2004, 10:00 am #4

I agree with te comments about the AA tracks, they are very good even they come sometime with deformations, but I not sure you always need to change the original parts!
Yes, they're crude, but I think they fit well with some work. In fact the point is there is no real inside details, but as long as they stay in place!

Just an exemple of some adujustment in one of my old MarkIV, finishing is not up to date but...

[/img]

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

March 21st, 2004, 6:06 pm #5

Although I by no means belong to that school in modelling that insists on putting new tracks on a kit no matter what came in the box, I do think that all of Emhar's kits are in definite need of track replacements ? it's IMHO the number one thing you can do to make them look better...

gilles thomas
gilles thomas

March 21st, 2004, 7:14 pm #6

Regarding the tracks, I think the question is what we get on the market!
Most of the MarkI-V avaiable alternative tracks add only marginal improvement comparing with reworked Ehmar's, and they're not so cheap! None of them may be used to depict broken tracks correctly.
I think the last word will be some Friul individual links as good as the Ft 17's ones!
Gilles

Tim Rupnow
Tim Rupnow

March 22nd, 2004, 6:11 pm #7

Mark
Hi Mark,

I was fortunate enough to get my greasy little hands on a set of the Model Cellar tracks a couple of years ago. I can't vouch 100% for the accuracy, but they seem pretty close. I would highly recommend them.

They are individual link plastic(maybe resin?) that snap together to become semi-workable. The casting is incredibly crisp.

Good luck finding them, as they are long OOP. I am trying to find the Mk IV tracks myself. I have heard rumours that Model Cellar will re-release the sets though.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Bob Collignon
Bob Collignon

March 22nd, 2004, 7:06 pm #8

The standard track width for the Whippet and the rhomboid tracks (the same track) should scale out to 21" in width, the Model cellar tracks scale out to 19" and it is noticable in scale, though I can't say that some actual tracks weren't 19". I've measured 4 sets of tracks and all are 21" My2cBobC

Mark Rethoret
Mark Rethoret

March 23rd, 2004, 4:35 pm #9

Mark
As usual, great information!
Thanks again.

Mark