Mixing cups

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Mixing cups

July 8th, 2015, 9:54 pm #1

I loved coffee. I don't know if I could survive, without it. I have found that the creamer cups are perfect for mixing paints. I use them for mixing all types of paint, including those requiring lacquer thinner. Next time you are at a warehouse store, pick some up.

July 10th, 2015, 2:32 am #2

They are the cups you get with cough sirup. I picked up 50 for like $5. Also, sponges of different shapes are also available!!

July 15th, 2015, 4:29 am #3

But I like living dangerously by using the wife's tea cups.

July 18th, 2015, 8:31 pm #4

I loved coffee. I don't know if I could survive, without it. I have found that the creamer cups are perfect for mixing paints. I use them for mixing all types of paint, including those requiring lacquer thinner. Next time you are at a warehouse store, pick some up.
Or any kind of jar lid

July 20th, 2015, 6:17 am #5

My problem, with caps are the threads.

July 22nd, 2015, 4:27 pm #6

I got used to these clear 2oz. cups used for mixing resin. I used to get them for $3 for a pack of 50, but then my (at the time) local hobby store closed. I've found a supply online at a hobby rocket outfit - 6$ for a pack of 100. The caveat is no covers so unless you transfer contents to an airtight container, these are only 'per session'. I mix paint in these and place in an inverted rattle-can plastic top so it won't tip over, and discard when done. Cheers.
- fredman out

July 23rd, 2015, 1:40 am #7

I've been using the medical supply cups for years. I like them for two reasons. First, is the ones I buy have different measurements on the cup so I can use those for mixing paint formulas. Second, they wash out easily, so are reusable.
Eric
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

Calvin and Hobbs 1990

July 27th, 2015, 5:59 pm #8

My problem, with caps are the threads.
two or three drops of Vallejo paint in the bottom and a brush load of water. If I were mixing a lot of paint I would use a large(r) jar. Ive always found either some aluminum foil or a cap worked for me

August 2nd, 2015, 4:30 am #9

My point is, if you drink creamer, the cups are free.

September 8th, 2015, 3:22 am #10

Wendy's around here (NY) have gone back to plastic cups for their ketchup. I stock up whenever I go there.
I'm not sure but I don't think they'll work with anything stronger than acrylic.

Owen