Mixing acrylic paint..............?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Mixing acrylic paint..............?

August 26th, 2011, 10:57 pm #1

Can Tamiya flat acrylic paints be mixed with Testors flat acrylic paints without a problem?

August 27th, 2011, 8:54 am #2

At least, I've never had any success.

I don't know why, though. WHen I tried it years ago, I never got them to mix correctly, usualy getting a clumpy mess.

I thin Tamiya paints with 91% rubbing alcohol or Windex. The alcohol doesn't work too well with Testors paints, but the Windex works just fine.

Steve

"...any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." John F. Kennedy, 1963

August 27th, 2011, 4:40 pm #3

I had the same experience that you had. I was hoping there was a remedy that would fix that result.

August 29th, 2011, 2:57 pm #4

Can Tamiya flat acrylic paints be mixed with Testors flat acrylic paints without a problem?
The Tamiya acrylic uses a lacquer base, and the Testors acrylic uses an alcohol base - two totally different mediums.

It's like mixing oil and water - doesn't work.

------
Chuck Rothman
Former AMPS Webmaster
Former AMPS Boresight Editor
Now just a regular AMPS member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck Rothman
AMPS 2nd VP - Canada