Miniart Buildings - Worth Getting?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Miniart Buildings - Worth Getting?

July 22nd, 2012, 3:48 pm #1

I have my eye on one of the more elaborate Miniart buildings, one in the $60 USD range and was wondering if it was worth the trouble of acquiring and assembling it or whether its best to go with other options. Thanks, MK

July 22nd, 2012, 6:28 pm #2

We've been impressed with the sample kits we've had sent, I've assembled one and they do take a little prep due to the vac-formed parts- you do get plenty of spare detail parts as they have quite generic sprues in most of the kits. Their web site has an excellent guide to assembling and painting.

Regards

Mark Neville
AFV Modeller Magazine www.afvmodeller.com
mark@afvmodeller.com

July 22nd, 2012, 7:29 pm #3

I'll save up the coins required to get the one I could use. Regards, MK

July 22nd, 2012, 10:44 pm #4

I have my eye on one of the more elaborate Miniart buildings, one in the $60 USD range and was wondering if it was worth the trouble of acquiring and assembling it or whether its best to go with other options. Thanks, MK
I tried them a few years ago and found that the major building pieces were warped beyond repair. I like custom dioramics and the outfit that's based here in the US, that does their stuff in nicely molded plaster-goes together nicely with Elmers glue and paints like a dream.

just my 1/5th of a dime!

Carter

July 22nd, 2012, 11:25 pm #5

They are vacuuform kits so yeah they are very thin to start with. The Mini Art web site has some excellent step by step tutorials on building and finishing their kits. I have bought half a dozen of them and they are good if you put some time into them.

Also look into where you are buying them from. Tower Hobbies in the US sells them, but a $60 building from Tower is $30 from Lucky or Hobby Terra.
DAVID NICKELS

July 23rd, 2012, 3:13 am #6

They are hardwork but really look the piece when done. Their website guide is highly recommended and one other tip is to use the trimmed waste to make up joiner tabs which makes the whole process easier. I would suggest starting with a simple one first though.
Al

July 23rd, 2012, 4:27 am #7

Hi All,
Just a link to the above mentioned assembly guide pages:

http://miniart-models.com/index.htm?/1-35_Dioramas.htm

Cheers, Ian

July 23rd, 2012, 6:22 am #8

I dunno how I came across this review, but he does show you what you're getting yourself into....but he is a whinger/whiner.
Least this way, you don't have any nasty surprises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDERZzjQZU8

Jon

July 23rd, 2012, 1:53 pm #9

Miniart are doing great subjects with their buildings. Yeah would be nice to have a few choices as far as windows and doors are concerned, and yes they are vacuformed kits, but they still go together well. More prep than usual, but at least your dio doesn't weigh 25lbs when you are done.

Watch their "How To" videos on their website, and it makes quick work of building them.

And yeah...the guy in the youtube video.....very much a whiner!

July 23rd, 2012, 3:36 pm #10

I recently reviewed a MiniArt building for AMPS. It was my first experience with one of these kits, and my review walks you through any roadblocks I encountered. Bottom line, with a little TLC, these kits are NICE! The biggest challenge is cutting the corners at the correct angles, but like everyone here is saying, MiniArt's online guide videos are invaluable.

I say pull the trigger - as long as you take your time, you'll be fine.

Here's a link to the review:

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/revi ... 93&Type=FB
Progress, not perfection.