Mini Art US Tank Crew NW Europe as Korean war SP Arty Crewmen???

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

Mini Art US Tank Crew NW Europe as Korean war SP Arty Crewmen???

March 28th, 2012, 3:15 pm #1

Would MiniArt's US Tank Crew NW Europe be suitable for an SP Arty crew in the winter months in the Korean War? I was thinking of using them on my M43 howitzer.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

Last edited by Gino P. Quintiliani on March 28th, 2012, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

March 28th, 2012, 3:54 pm #2

...Priest crew sets? Give 'em a look. They might be a little closer to what you seek. HTH, Dave

March 28th, 2012, 4:01 pm #3

Would MiniArt's US Tank Crew NW Europe be suitable for an SP Arty crew in the winter months in the Korean War? I was thinking of using them on my M43 howitzer.

Gino P. Quintiliani

HeavyArty's Showcase

Hello Gino.

I'd really like to tell you that those would be OK for Korea, but unfortunately, the old Jacket Combat Winter wasn't really common in the US Army at that time. The M1943 field jacket had pretty much replaced everything else as an outer garment by then, supplemented in the winter by the M51 parka shell.

That said, I do remember seeing pictures around of troops in Korea wearing the gold old "Tanker's Jacket", but most of them seem to be Marines.

Cheers!

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

March 28th, 2012, 6:52 pm #4

Gino P. Quintiliani

HeavyArty's Showcase

That is the info I have been getting on the uniforms, tes for WWII, no for Korea. Apparently the USMC still used the tanker's jacket in Korea though.

The Warriors Priest crewmen look good, but it looks like they are wearing a similar jacket to the tanker's jacket on the Mini Art figures, which is not correct for Korea.

Any other suggestions for Korean war SP gun crewmen?

Gino P. Quintiliani

HeavyArty's Showcase

Last edited by Gino P. Quintiliani on March 28th, 2012, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

March 29th, 2012, 2:38 am #5

Gino,

Though I think it's currently OOP, one set that could suit your needs with some minor modifications (i.e. removing web gear) is Dragon's old U.S. MARINES, KOREA 1950/51 (CHOSIN RESERVOIR) set (item 6802). These lads all wear the M51 parka and with some repositionn of the arms, the poses could fit an artillery crew.

Here's one I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dragon-US-Mar ... 0842531577

Hope this helps.

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

March 29th, 2012, 11:09 am #6

Thanks Herve', I have this set and have considered them. I was looking for less "in-action" figures though. We'll see what I can come up with.

Gino P. Quintiliani

HeavyArty's Showcase