Military sights in Paris?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Military sights in Paris?

July 20th, 2012, 1:41 pm #1

Apart from the Musée de l'Armée at Les Invalides is there anything of a military nature worth checking out in Paris

Pat McGrath
Work to become not to acquire

July 20th, 2012, 8:02 pm #2

The Maritime Museum near the Trocadero has nice warship models, and last time I was there they had a painting of a 2e DB M10 tank destroyer (manned by sailors of the RBFM)

There is a small museum dedicated to Gen. LeClerc of the 2e DB near one of the train stations. It's probably not worth the visit unless you are keen on the liberation of Paris in 1944. If you are interested in the 1944 fighting in Paris, there are lots of plaques and memorials scattered around the city.

A lot of the old 1870 forts from the Franco-Prussian war era are still in place in the outskirts of the city. I visited a few, but some are active military posts, so you have to check in advance if they are open to the public.

The air museum out at Le Bourget is one of the great aircraft museum of the world. It is accessible by public transport from the city, but make sure you have a map, as it is a bit of a hoof (or a bus ride) if you take the Metro.

There's a surprising amount of WWII stuff still around in the nooks and crannies. I was there in June on business, and while taking the RER train out of Gare du Nord and heading north through the railyard, I was surprised at how many of the small one-man bunkers/fire warden stands were still present around the yards.

July 20th, 2012, 8:35 pm #3

I'll only be there for a few days with my family so probably just see Les Invalides and the Leclerc museum if I can find it
Cheers

Pat McGrath

July 21st, 2012, 12:42 pm #4

Pat:
The "Memorial du Marechal Leclerc de Hauteclocque et de la Liberation de Paris is located at 23 allee de la 2e DB (75015 Paris) which is next to the Gare Montparnasse railway station (If I remember correctly, Leclerc located his HQ in the station during the Paris operation). Be warned however that the museum is tucked away, and takes a little careful recon (or a really good map).

BTW, when you're at Les Invalides, there's a few things worth checking out. If you like military fortification, "Les Plans" exhibit is very interesting. It's architectural models of many of the major coastal forts around France. Interesting from the diorama standpoint as well as the fortification. It's on the top floor of the building opposite the main museum entrance.

They had put the Renault FT in the arcade down at the corner on the approaches to Napolean's tomb, but when I was there in June, it was missing.

If you are looking for military books, the museum shop is very decent (I was finally able to find the new 116 Panzer Division history by Ysec there)

July 21st, 2012, 2:12 pm #5

Apart from the Musée de l'Armée at Les Invalides is there anything of a military nature worth checking out in Paris

Pat McGrath
... you could visit the ECPAD (army archives), you can spend hours browsing through their photo collection, including a large number of German WW2 photo reports captured at the end of the war.

Info in French here (you could use google translate or similar if you don't master that most wonderful language -I know I'm biased-) :

http://www.ecpad.fr/mediatheque

Opening times here :

http://www.ecpad.fr/contacts/horaires

They advise not to visit between the 13th and the 17th of August, as there will be some construction (renovation?) work and it will get very noisy.

By coincidence it's located in one of those military forts on the outskirts of Paris.

And bring your passport along, they'll ask for ID at the entrance.

Cheers,

Christophe

July 21st, 2012, 6:28 pm #6

Pat:
The "Memorial du Marechal Leclerc de Hauteclocque et de la Liberation de Paris is located at 23 allee de la 2e DB (75015 Paris) which is next to the Gare Montparnasse railway station (If I remember correctly, Leclerc located his HQ in the station during the Paris operation). Be warned however that the museum is tucked away, and takes a little careful recon (or a really good map).

BTW, when you're at Les Invalides, there's a few things worth checking out. If you like military fortification, "Les Plans" exhibit is very interesting. It's architectural models of many of the major coastal forts around France. Interesting from the diorama standpoint as well as the fortification. It's on the top floor of the building opposite the main museum entrance.

They had put the Renault FT in the arcade down at the corner on the approaches to Napolean's tomb, but when I was there in June, it was missing.

If you are looking for military books, the museum shop is very decent (I was finally able to find the new 116 Panzer Division history by Ysec there)
I'll make time for the "Les Plans" exhibit -I'd have a whole day to myself if I could get out of going to EuroDisney

Pat McGrath

July 21st, 2012, 6:31 pm #7

... you could visit the ECPAD (army archives), you can spend hours browsing through their photo collection, including a large number of German WW2 photo reports captured at the end of the war.

Info in French here (you could use google translate or similar if you don't master that most wonderful language -I know I'm biased-) :

http://www.ecpad.fr/mediatheque

Opening times here :

http://www.ecpad.fr/contacts/horaires

They advise not to visit between the 13th and the 17th of August, as there will be some construction (renovation?) work and it will get very noisy.

By coincidence it's located in one of those military forts on the outskirts of Paris.

And bring your passport along, they'll ask for ID at the entrance.

Cheers,

Christophe
Time is tight plus family in tow but we'll see.

Pat McGrath