Military Modelling no more?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.
Joined: April 28th, 2018, 2:01 pm

June 12th, 2018, 9:49 am #61

I have not received any magazine's from Mmi as of yet even though I was told I would. Does anyone know when the newest issue is out
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 7th, 2018, 8:32 pm

June 12th, 2018, 11:14 am #62

Whoops!  In all this I have been thinking MMI was Military Modelcraft International (which is good as I buy it already) and not Model Military International - probably because I think of that as "Tamiya Miltary".  Anyway, nothing in the post.....
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 18th, 2013, 11:02 pm

June 12th, 2018, 2:14 pm #63

Evan Allen wrote: My perspective is not being even informed about the magazine shutting down. To this day still not one word from the original publisher/editor/Pocketmags etc telling me what the hell was going on so wherever the "announcement" was it wasn't to this subscriber. I  found out by rumour and then no one bothered to reply to any of my requests for any information from any of the Parties involved until Doolittle made their announcement.
I think it was four days between the closure announcement and the complete disestablishment of the company.  The fact that the doomed employees of a terminally ill company did not contact each customer individually (in addition to the facebook broadcast) is not surprising and completely forgivable, in my mind.  After April 30th, there was no one left to answer phones or emails, so of course you didn't receive a reply.  It appears that Doolittle is essentially doing subscribers a favor as I doubt that the MilMod people gave them anything beyond a subscriber list.  (That is to say, no money.  Doolittle is likely counting on using the goodwill of their gesture and the exposure to their product to generate new subscribers.  The transferred subscription balances are just an advertising expense to them.)  It is also completely understandable that Doolittle did not respond to a large number of individual contacts when a general announcement was forthcoming.  Given the facts as they appear, Doolittle does not deserve any criticism.  MilMod is gone, legally and practically.  Doolittle has no obligation to the former MilMod subscribers that I can see, so anything you get from them is a gift.

And honestly, I mentioned "perspective" previously because I was trying to take some of the harshness off the statement following it.  In reality, I'm sick of the impatient people who draw out timelines to make it seem as if their experience is long and unbearable and unique so as to generate sympathy or justify their own overwrought outrage.  Forty-four days.  This isn't Jarndyce and Jarndyce from Bleak House.  You aren't waiting for an overdue paycheck or for your electric service to be repaired after a tornado.  It's a hobby magazine. Your remaining MilMod subscription is lost and can never be recovered.  Accept it.  Doolittle does not seem to have any obligation to you, but is giving you something anyway.  That is not something to complain about.

KL
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 1st, 2018, 10:53 am

June 12th, 2018, 7:59 pm #64

Kurt-Laughlin wrote:
Evan Allen wrote: My perspective is not being even informed about the magazine shutting down. To this day still not one word from the original publisher/editor/Pocketmags etc telling me what the hell was going on so wherever the "announcement" was it wasn't to this subscriber. I  found out by rumour and then no one bothered to reply to any of my requests for any information from any of the Parties involved until Doolittle made their announcement.
I think it was four days between the closure announcement and the complete disestablishment of the company.  The fact that the doomed employees of a terminally ill company did not contact each customer individually (in addition to the facebook broadcast) is not surprising and completely forgivable, in my mind.  After April 30th, there was no one left to answer phones or emails, so of course you didn't receive a reply.  It appears that Doolittle is essentially doing subscribers a favor as I doubt that the MilMod people gave them anything beyond a subscriber list.  (That is to say, no money.  Doolittle is likely counting on using the goodwill of their gesture and the exposure to their product to generate new subscribers.  The transferred subscription balances are just an advertising expense to them.)  It is also completely understandable that Doolittle did not respond to a large number of individual contacts when a general announcement was forthcoming.  Given the facts as they appear, Doolittle does not deserve any criticism.  MilMod is gone, legally and practically.  Doolittle has no obligation to the former MilMod subscribers that I can see, so anything you get from them is a gift.

And honestly, I mentioned "perspective" previously because I was trying to take some of the harshness off the statement following it.  In reality, I'm sick of the impatient people who draw out timelines to make it seem as if their experience is long and unbearable and unique so as to generate sympathy or justify their own overwrought outrage.  Forty-four days.  This isn't Jarndyce and Jarndyce from Bleak House.  You aren't waiting for an overdue paycheck or for your electric service to be repaired after a tornado.  It's a hobby magazine. Your remaining MilMod subscription is lost and can never be recovered.  Accept it.  Doolittle does not seem to have any obligation to you, but is giving you something anyway.  That is not something to complain about.

KL
Sure, getting screwed over is nothing to complain about, great fun in fact, lie back and enjoy it you say. I'm sick of your attitude.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2005, 1:07 pm

June 12th, 2018, 9:10 pm #65

Evan Allen wrote:
Sure, getting screwed over is nothing to complain about, great fun in fact, lie back and enjoy it you say. I'm sick of your attitude.
Kurt is merely pointing out the reality of the situation without any exaggeration ( ie several moths).

Losing money is never good but just keep things in perspective. 
Andrew 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 27th, 2018, 2:30 pm

June 12th, 2018, 9:25 pm #66

Kurt-Laughlin wrote: Your remaining MilMod subscription is lost and can never be recovered.  Accept it.  Doolittle does not seem to have any obligation to you, but is giving you something anyway.  That is not something to complain about.

KL
The new company bought Military Modelling and the subscription list according to the editor in a post on the old website.
They decided to incorporate the name of the magazine into their own magazine.
as per http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/pro ... july-2018/
They included a letter in the last Military Modelling magazine to be published telling subscribers that their subscriptions would transfer over to the new magazine and if any queries contact an email address.
To date there has been no response from that contact email address nor has there been a magazine which the new company promised.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 18th, 2013, 11:02 pm

June 12th, 2018, 9:51 pm #67

Gary MacKenzie wrote:
Kurt-Laughlin wrote: Your remaining MilMod subscription is lost and can never be recovered.  Accept it.  Doolittle does not seem to have any obligation to you, but is giving you something anyway.  That is not something to complain about.

KL
The new company bought Military Modelling and the subscription list according to the editor in a post on the old website.
They decided to incorporate the name of the magazine into their own magazine.
as per http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/pro ... july-2018/
They included a letter in the last Military Modelling magazine to be published telling subscribers that their subscriptions would transfer over to the new magazine and if any queries contact an email address.
To date there has been no response from that contact email address nor has there been a magazine which the new company promised.
Well, then it's a matter as to the details of the acquisition of debts and liabilities.  Buying the name of the magazine and subscription list of MilMod is no different than buying the customer list and delivery truck of a bankrupt bakery.  It doesn't make you obligated to pay off their overdue gas and electric bills.  If you choose to give bread to the old customers gratis, they really don't have a claim to say that you are doing something wrong when you stop giving them freebies without warning.

Yeah, the whole thing is too bad.  I lost about a $350 payment for an article that was published immediately before Highbury-Nexus went belly up.  I would imagine that was quite a bit more than any subscriber lost in this go round.  I guess I'm scaling my judgement of "appropriate outrage" to my experience, right or wrong.

KL
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2005, 1:07 pm

June 13th, 2018, 5:27 am #68

Gary MacKenzie wrote: .......,,
To date there has been no response from that contact email address nor has there been a magazine which the new company promised.
The link you gave shows the cover of a July issue if MMI and this shows a big banner across the cover about incorporating Mil mod.

Generally there is a lead time of three months from final layout for magazines being published and distributioned.

As MilMod closed on April 27 the earliest MMI to incorporate MilMod would be the July issue. Which is exactly what seems to be happening so the promise about the magazine is being kept.

Of course they could scrape and redo say the June edition but this comes at great cost in time and money for real no benefit.

As to the email address I have no idea.

Yes things could be better but it’s common these situations are not well handled. Lack of time and manpower usually being the reasons.

The publishers of hobby magazines are really small companies with just a couple of employees not huge corporations like The Times or NYT.

Regular
Andrew
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 19th, 2014, 4:10 pm

June 14th, 2018, 8:04 am #69

Kurt-Laughlin wrote:

I think it was four days between the closure announcement and the complete disestablishment of the company.  The fact that the doomed employees of a terminally ill company did not contact each customer individually (in addition to the facebook broadcast) is not surprising and completely forgivable, in my mind.  
<snip>

KL
Just to point out that only 'Military Modelling' was the only title sold to Doolittle, the MyTimeMedia's other titles are carrying on as before and I understand the former editor of Military Modelling has moved to one of the other titles.

jh
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 26th, 2003, 7:23 pm

June 14th, 2018, 9:43 am #70

Has anybody seen the July issue of MMIMM on sale yet? Was due 7th June, but presumably the need to combine the two has added a delay, although I seem to also remember reading that the MMI printer had pulled the plug, leading to delays on a number of titles from the publisher - so perhaps a double whammy
Simon King
Quote
Like
Share