Military Illustrated Modeller - no payment after 3 months

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Military Illustrated Modeller - no payment after 3 months

November 2nd, 2017, 12:44 pm #1

Hi,

my article was published in August in Military Illustrated Modeller. Their editor Marcus Nicholls wrote that my payment would be sent with some delay. September, then October - the delay is well over the promised dates.

At the moment the situation is stuck. After several ignored mails, the editor and another person from the magazine (or ADH?) wrote that their colleague that had been on vacation (3 months? returned to the office and my payment will be sent. It happened a week ago but they haven't given me the direct email of that 3rd person. Payment hasn't been sent also. So I personally feel that they are not going to pay.

Before writing this post I found that contributors had similar problems in 2015.

Yep, I should have read it before sending my article, but still, what's the best way to get the payment? Your best practice, advice, please?

November 2nd, 2017, 8:27 pm #2

. . . payments from ADH (now Doolittle Media) took about six months to come through.

November 3rd, 2017, 1:16 am #3

1-1.5 months that they told at the very beginning. I'm glad that you got your payments. I have several reports from my facebook friends that
didn't received anything after more than half a year from ADH:(

November 3rd, 2017, 1:03 pm #4

Hi,

my article was published in August in Military Illustrated Modeller. Their editor Marcus Nicholls wrote that my payment would be sent with some delay. September, then October - the delay is well over the promised dates.

At the moment the situation is stuck. After several ignored mails, the editor and another person from the magazine (or ADH?) wrote that their colleague that had been on vacation (3 months? returned to the office and my payment will be sent. It happened a week ago but they haven't given me the direct email of that 3rd person. Payment hasn't been sent also. So I personally feel that they are not going to pay.

Before writing this post I found that contributors had similar problems in 2015.

Yep, I should have read it before sending my article, but still, what's the best way to get the payment? Your best practice, advice, please?
Not suprised by your story having previously been burnt like this when it was adh publishing, which by the way filed for insolvency last year. I am still owed money which I will probably never see. Strangely this issue has not really been advertised or discussed online but I have talked to many people who are in the same position, i.e owed money for articles and have never received payment.

Previous experience with them showed that contacting anyone but the editor was extremely difficult and frustrating. Good luck getting your money!!
www.petesmodelworld.blogspot.co.uk

November 3rd, 2017, 2:46 pm #5

publishing my post here I received the payment.

You can try once again, may be you'll get your issue fixed also.

Generally, a sort of thread about experience with different publishers would be good for us, modelers. Sharing good and bad experience of publishing in magazines would be definitely useful

November 3rd, 2017, 2:51 pm #6

Hi,

Today I received several mails from MIM editor and his colleagues and then received my payment. Pretty glad about that.
As far as understood from previous messages, my magazine copy was sent by mail, so I hope to get it one day.

November 6th, 2017, 11:53 am #7

Why not demand payment up front? If the entire community of writers and would be writers did it there should not be a problem. Is the idea of being a published article/review writer so important as a hobby status symbol that these hobby publications can string you out not matter?