Mid/Late Tiger Turret FuG 5 , transformer placement ?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Mid/Late Tiger Turret FuG 5 , transformer placement ?

February 4th, 2012, 1:23 am #1

Hey Guys,

I'm workin' on WIttmann's Last Tiger & I'm installing the FuG 5 radio in th Turret. I was wondering where was th Transformer for th radio located ? Is there a Typical layout ? Did th FuG 5 hang in a rack from the ceiling & th transformer mounted on th turret wall adjacent to th radio ( as is My educated guess)

Thanx in Advance !!

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???

February 4th, 2012, 9:43 pm #2

I asked pretty much the same question a few years ago Erik. It appears nobody has any insight into the interior of a command Tiger. There is the one in Kublika and someone somewhere must have had a look inside you would think! One of the great mysteries of our time i guess. Big foot, area 51 and the Tiger interior all need to be sorted out, after that they can work on the world recession.
Regard's, Dave.

February 5th, 2012, 12:05 am #3

DAVE ,

Th recession can wait ! ... We have valuable research to conduct. .... I'm surprised in this day & age that a few pix haven't leaked out on th interior of th Kubinka Tiger. Factory documents ? ... nothing ... You would think th Guys from Kubinka would put together a Book or somethin' !

I have read that crews were responsible for arranging the radios & finding space for all of the components .... So, I suppose that it's partially , wide-open ??

Thanx for responding !

ERIK

Last edited by panzervor on February 5th, 2012, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 5th, 2012, 3:01 am #4

Hey Guys,

I'm workin' on WIttmann's Last Tiger & I'm installing the FuG 5 radio in th Turret. I was wondering where was th Transformer for th radio located ? Is there a Typical layout ? Did th FuG 5 hang in a rack from the ceiling & th transformer mounted on th turret wall adjacent to th radio ( as is My educated guess)

Thanx in Advance !!

ERIK

Hi! Erik,

Have you seen/been to...

http://www.tigertank-h-e-181.com/17_radio_equipment.htm

There ain't no mention of a transformer, though. It may help you besides.

Cheers,
Paul.

N.B. email address is a re-director to my real one. It's never used to send by me.
* Fidonet - 3:640/384 (IP: quinnspost.dyndns.org - binkP - news:60119)

February 5th, 2012, 7:44 am #5

I asked pretty much the same question a few years ago Erik. It appears nobody has any insight into the interior of a command Tiger. There is the one in Kublika and someone somewhere must have had a look inside you would think! One of the great mysteries of our time i guess. Big foot, area 51 and the Tiger interior all need to be sorted out, after that they can work on the world recession.
Regard's, Dave.
I am not confident, that an interior of the Kubinkas Tiger, will help at construction of the Wittmanns Tiger (007).
Some details of standard radio equipment (in turret) the Kubinkas Tiger (MID production) and Wittmanns Tiger (007) (LATE production) have a various arrangement. It is possible, that these Tigers had distinction and in accommodation of additional radio equipment.

February 5th, 2012, 8:21 am #6

Hi! Erik,

Have you seen/been to...

http://www.tigertank-h-e-181.com/17_radio_equipment.htm

There ain't no mention of a transformer, though. It may help you besides.

Cheers,
Paul.

N.B. email address is a re-director to my real one. It's never used to send by me.
PAUL ,

Thanx for th reminder !! I actually have this link bookmarked I reread th link & I missed that there was also a Receiver as well in th turret slightly to th right of th Loader ?? ! Hmm..... still no word on th location of th transformer. In fact that reduces th room for a good spot to place th transformer ..... at least with th Resin set that i have , I've forgotten th name. it's a Defunct company from Germany , Th transformer is slightly too big to go on th "shelf" / i.e. th upper part of th turret ring. Hmmmm. Hung on a rack on th side wall of th turret ?

@EVGENIY - Actually WIttmann's 007 , is a Mid/Late ..... but Who's splittin' hairs. I hear what you're sayin' ! Some sort of a picture ... just a starting point would work for Me ... even if it was a Md ... or even an Early ..... Factory shots ?? Nothing in Tiger Fibel ??

Thanx again Paul & Evgeniy !

ERIK

Last edited by panzervor on February 5th, 2012, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 5th, 2012, 8:43 am #7

Hi! Erik,

Have a poke around in their photo album of the Kubinka wreck. There's some interesting shots of the turret ring. One to look out for is the fourth thumbnail panel, fourth photo. It's looking towards the right-rear of the turret from what must be around the driver's seat.

I know practically nothing of the innards of a Tiger so I gotta ask, "what's that piece of junk hanging off of the bar under the gun mount"?

-=[ For that matter, "what's the dammed bar for anyhow"? ]=-

Cheers,
Paul.

February 5th, 2012, 9:08 am #8

Mistake!
It not wreck of the Kubinkas Tiger, is the Snegiris Tiger.
It is more than photos of wreck of the Snegiris Tiger:
http://tigerscorner.ru/gallery/index.ph ... &Itemid=54

February 5th, 2012, 9:29 pm #9

Hi! Erik,

Have a poke around in their photo album of the Kubinka wreck. There's some interesting shots of the turret ring. One to look out for is the fourth thumbnail panel, fourth photo. It's looking towards the right-rear of the turret from what must be around the driver's seat.

I know practically nothing of the innards of a Tiger so I gotta ask, "what's that piece of junk hanging off of the bar under the gun mount"?

-=[ For that matter, "what's the dammed bar for anyhow"? ]=-

Cheers,
Paul.

PAUL ,

I went to what I thought was th Kubinka site & couldn't really click on/find th pix of the th Tiger ..... do You have that link ?

The Bar that you speak of , is the support for the seat of the Gunner & holds part of the traverse mechanism controlled by the Gunner. It runs Catty-Corner from left to right on or about a 30 degree angle . It's not Cadillac Comfort .. but it gets th job done ! I haven't seen th pix so I can't comment on th Hunk of Junk hangin' off of it . .... It could be that you see th COunter weight that's actually on th back wall & connects to the basket of th gun. ??

\m/

ERIK

February 5th, 2012, 10:52 pm #10

Hey Guys,

Thanx in Advance !!

ERIK

..I have never seen any German diagrams showing the interior of the Command Tiger turret.

David