Micro Mask - Avoid

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Micro Mask - Avoid

May 13th, 2012, 5:37 pm #1

I've just used Micro Mask to mask off the intricate parts when applying anti-slip paint. The suff dries hard and shrinks whilst doing so. It's difficult to lift and paint seems to get underneath it very easily. I've just binned my pot of the stuff (used once only) after it's ruined my Accurate Armour Warrior 513 conversion. I'm currently trying to strip everthing down... Very angry and annoyed.

May 13th, 2012, 8:08 pm #2

I learned that about 30 years ago... Some do "okay" if you understand how they work and do not work.

Micro Mask is probably the oldest of them still on the market. I don't know if it has changed any but it was always hard to see where you were putting it because it was more or less clear. It also beads up on bare plastic and will draw back from sharp edges.

Hulbrol Maskol is probably the best liquid mask I have found. I did this Hotchkiss H35 with repeated applications of Maskol. I did not find that it shrank after it was dry, although it might draw back/shrink a bit while drying. I applied two or three coats per color anyway. It was not too hard to remove, although i got it off quickly as soon as the last colors were sprayed.

[/IMG]

Vallejo has a newish liquid mask that seems good. It is thick, and a bright hospital green color so you can see where you are putting it. I played around with it some on a complicated helicopter canopy and it SEEMS good. But, I have not applied paint over it.
DAVID NICKELS

May 13th, 2012, 11:18 pm #3

I've just used Micro Mask to mask off the intricate parts when applying anti-slip paint. The suff dries hard and shrinks whilst doing so. It's difficult to lift and paint seems to get underneath it very easily. I've just binned my pot of the stuff (used once only) after it's ruined my Accurate Armour Warrior 513 conversion. I'm currently trying to strip everthing down... Very angry and annoyed.
what type of paint are you using? Liquid mask will not work on flat paint.

Owen

May 15th, 2012, 3:05 am #4

I have not tried it on a painted surface.
Outta here, Mike sends . . .

May 16th, 2012, 3:34 pm #5

I did use it for masking camo once, it took hours to remove. It's been known to lift acrylic paint right off the plastic.