Micro Drill Bit Sets

January 13th, 2016, 5:55 pm #1

Does anyone know of a source for sets of high-quality micro-sized drill bits? All I can find online are the very cheap Chinese-made sets. Those tend to be poorly made and very fragile.

I have two sets of micro-sized numbered bits that I got years ago from Micro-Mark, but they're not metric. I know there are close equivalents in the number range to metric bits, but would like to have all sizes on hand. Of course, I would want them in some kind of index because it's impossible to read the sizes on the bits as they get smaller and smaller...

Drill bits

January 13th, 2016, 8:31 pm #2

Hi Jan

Not sure where you are based, but if its UK, try Allan at . He sells (in sets or individually) very fine drill bits. The smallest I have is 0.3mm. They are very sharp, but rather brittle and all have a shank about 3mm in diameter (on which you can read the size, though faintly and sometimes very small). With that shank, you can hold them in your fingers and drill away without needing a drill. They are not, however, as long ss conventional steel drill bits.

Chris

Possibility???

January 15th, 2016, 12:18 pm #3

Does anyone know of a source for sets of high-quality micro-sized drill bits? All I can find online are the very cheap Chinese-made sets. Those tend to be poorly made and very fragile.

I have two sets of micro-sized numbered bits that I got years ago from Micro-Mark, but they're not metric. I know there are close equivalents in the number range to metric bits, but would like to have all sizes on hand. Of course, I would want them in some kind of index because it's impossible to read the sizes on the bits as they get smaller and smaller...
Have a look at this thread:

http://kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modl ... _id=240524

Sorry...

January 19th, 2016, 4:02 pm #4

Hi Jan

Not sure where you are based, but if its UK, try Allan at . He sells (in sets or individually) very fine drill bits. The smallest I have is 0.3mm. They are very sharp, but rather brittle and all have a shank about 3mm in diameter (on which you can read the size, though faintly and sometimes very small). With that shank, you can hold them in your fingers and drill away without needing a drill. They are not, however, as long ss conventional steel drill bits.

Chris
.. but it does not seem possible to convey to you the way to get hold of Allan''Chris

Found 'em

January 23rd, 2016, 4:35 pm #5

I found two Tamiya metric drill bit sets: Basic Drill Set #74049 (1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0mm) and Fine Drill Set #74044 (0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8mm). Sprue Brothers carries them. They come in a small plastic box. The Fine set has stickers you can apply which note the sizes, plus a clear plastic cover sheet inside the box to help prevent the bits from flying out when you open the box.

PCB carbide drill bits

July 13th, 2016, 5:46 pm #6

you can buy sets of PCB drill bits on eBay. These are carbide bits with 1/8" shank. You can either get a varity set or sets of the same size. I got mine from the eBay seller "drill man".