Messin' around with groundwork,practicing for the Elbe dio

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Messin' around with groundwork,practicing for the Elbe dio

March 18th, 2017, 12:45 am #1

The walls of the cottage are my first attempt at using the balsa foam. I used the soft stuff. Big mistake. WAY too soft,fragile and I am not a fan of the fuzzy surface. Live and learn. The foundation is done with my old standby....plaster. Lots of paper stuff and some PE. Tiles cast in resin.
This is about 1/2 done. Mr Cat came by to inspect.

March 18th, 2017, 4:10 am #2

Followed this one on 'the other site...'. Nice job overall, and pretty labourus do to those rooftiles to!
Why balsa foam and not trying this with bleu foam? Wanted to try something different don't you ....

Gr Erik

Ps we are doing the same civilian girl, but mine is/will be total different. Will soon post it!

March 18th, 2017, 7:56 am #3

Hi Jerry
I am a honest man and have to say - no this is not working in the level you use to make. The house with that rough Surface dont work ! The Wood dont work for me at all. Why dont you work in real material ???
Sorry , but otherwise its a party for the eyes to look at your Creations. The house Surface ..no Jerry !!

Mirko

March 18th, 2017, 10:11 am #4

The walls of the cottage are my first attempt at using the balsa foam. I used the soft stuff. Big mistake. WAY too soft,fragile and I am not a fan of the fuzzy surface. Live and learn. The foundation is done with my old standby....plaster. Lots of paper stuff and some PE. Tiles cast in resin.

I don't know what you call it on your side of the pond, but in Merry England it's known as wattle and daub. I've seen a few old dilapidated cottages where the daub is starting to fall away, and it looked just like this.
BTW. With that cat's tail in the air like that and the semi squat position that it's taken up, I'd be a bit worried about what it's going to do next!!

John.

March 18th, 2017, 10:54 am #5

Amazing ground work Jerry!!!!

March 18th, 2017, 1:14 pm #6

Hi Jerry
I am a honest man and have to say - no this is not working in the level you use to make. The house with that rough Surface dont work ! The Wood dont work for me at all. Why dont you work in real material ???
Sorry , but otherwise its a party for the eyes to look at your Creations. The house Surface ..no Jerry !!

Mirko
same texture as the walls...basswood or balsa would have represented better...

March 18th, 2017, 1:38 pm #7

I love the different varieties of plants - the bushes look very realistic. Your cat looks fluffier and more well-fed than mine!

March 18th, 2017, 2:04 pm #8

Followed this one on 'the other site...'. Nice job overall, and pretty labourus do to those rooftiles to!
Why balsa foam and not trying this with bleu foam? Wanted to try something different don't you ....

Gr Erik

Ps we are doing the same civilian girl, but mine is/will be total different. Will soon post it!
happy with the balsa foam. Too soft and too fuzzy. I have in the past made plaster to look way more like wood and other things. This works for the plaster but not the wood. Thanks for the kind words though.
J

March 18th, 2017, 2:05 pm #9

Hi Jerry

Mirko
"cut it". I am used to working with plaster and also wood sometimes. This is new for me. I like the stucco part here but the wood,not so much.
As usual,we agree.
J

March 18th, 2017, 2:06 pm #10

same texture as the walls...basswood or balsa would have represented better...
I hear ya. Learning lesson.