Mesh Screens... any help / advice ?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Mesh Screens... any help / advice ?

July 5th, 2012, 2:19 am #1

All this talk of SdKfz 7's has me wanting to build a decent 7/1. can anybody recommend wire mesh that I can use to make the side screens ? And/or where I can buy some from...

I know there are etched brass sets out there, but those are pretty pricey.

Thanks in anticipation

Q

July 5th, 2012, 9:57 am #2

Bob,

I went to a shop that sold home made brewing materials. They had very fine mesh bags used for hops in beer making. Worked for me, and very, very cheap. Also being plastic, I was able to glue them to strip plasticard. I used it to make the side screens for an S+S sdkfz 10/2 and the 'cage' at the back of the deck on a Fujimi pz 1 self propelled anti tank gun,

regards

George

July 5th, 2012, 11:24 am #3

All this talk of SdKfz 7's has me wanting to build a decent 7/1. can anybody recommend wire mesh that I can use to make the side screens ? And/or where I can buy some from...

Thanks in anticipation

Q
Hi Bob,

Firstly, where do you reside? I ask because I have some silk tea bags that were from some very expensive Twinings tea (I didn't pay the full price, which was £7.50 a box!), the mesh is very fine and being silk it should stick with superglue quite well. It will take paint and looks quite convincing, if you want some I am more than happy to post them to you from the UK.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 5th, 2012, 12:26 pm #4

Thanks in anticipation

Q
Bob

I haven't tried these products yet but other modellers have commented favourably.

http://www.themeshcompany.com/

cheers

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

July 5th, 2012, 1:05 pm #5

Hi Bob,

Firstly, where do you reside? I ask because I have some silk tea bags that were from some very expensive Twinings tea (I didn't pay the full price, which was £7.50 a box!), the mesh is very fine and being silk it should stick with superglue quite well. It will take paint and looks quite convincing, if you want some I am more than happy to post them to you from the UK.

All the best,

Paul
Paul, I am also looking for mesh materials for the same project...could you spare some of these posh teabags for me??? I am happy to cover your postage costs to London. Thanks in advance. Rob

July 5th, 2012, 1:06 pm #6

Bob

I haven't tried these products yet but other modellers have commented favourably.

http://www.themeshcompany.com/

cheers

David
Dave, which of the mesh material is suitable for 1/72...and 1/48 for that matter???

July 5th, 2012, 10:38 pm #7

Thanks in anticipation

Q
Thanks to all for your advice (eom)

July 5th, 2012, 10:52 pm #8

Thanks in anticipation

Q
teh paper cone type. They have a nylon mesh in them that is very fine. Also you can get a pack of 4 for a dollar at most home improvement stores.

July 6th, 2012, 9:31 am #9

Thanks in anticipation

Q
Follow to the link in this article, Ikea could help you)))

http://acemodel.com.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4494

July 7th, 2012, 4:02 pm #10

Paul, I am also looking for mesh materials for the same project...could you spare some of these posh teabags for me??? I am happy to cover your postage costs to London. Thanks in advance. Rob
If you do, go there and get a tea, then take the little bag with you. That is what I use and it works awesome... you can dip it in a mix of water/white glue let it dry for stiffness.

http://www.blitz72.com/2011/detailing-i ... 31-part-2/

Take a look at the deck on my Jagdpanther and you will see it, it is far better and much finer than any photo-etch I could find.

HTH

<table><tr><td width="84" valign="top"></td><td valign="top">SGT Braille </td></tr></table>