Meng Merkava 3D

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Meng Merkava 3D

May 2nd, 2012, 9:45 am #1

Hi all,
Meng's new 1:35 Merkava 3D just arrived here, and it looks pretty nice from my very quick in-box look. No non-slip surface so that will need adding, tracks are individual link, turret ball/chains are moulded and the road wheels feature separate tyres, but in kit-plastic. Looks good and I'll be starting it soon, I've not built a Merkava since Tamiya's many, many moons ago...
Cheers,
Marcus
TMMI

May 2nd, 2012, 9:47 am #2

Lovely isn't it?

David

May 2nd, 2012, 9:54 am #3

Hi David,
It's a superb thing indeed eh? And I'm glad there's no non-slip, so the surface can be individualised, and the lead foil for the turret baskets is a nice touch. That open engine hatch cries out for a resin engine...
Cheers,
Marcus
TMMI

May 3rd, 2012, 12:24 am #4

Hi all,
Meng's new 1:35 Merkava 3D just arrived here, and it looks pretty nice from my very quick in-box look. No non-slip surface so that will need adding, tracks are individual link, turret ball/chains are moulded and the road wheels feature separate tyres, but in kit-plastic. Looks good and I'll be starting it soon, I've not built a Merkava since Tamiya's many, many moons ago...
Cheers,
Marcus
TMMI
I wonder why.

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

May 3rd, 2012, 8:55 am #5

Possibly because Meng have looked at IDF non slip and realised the very coarse nature just can't be reproduced convincingly - it really is rough and looks like breakfast cereal stirred into the paint.

May 3rd, 2012, 9:13 am #6

I think that's exactly why there's no non-slip on the kit parts, the Merkava's texture is extremely coarse and could look unconvincing if moulded in. Far better to spend time adding your own non-slip, than spending ages trying to remove unrealistic texture, then re-aaplying it!
I think it might be best to mask up the model (after priming?), airbrush Future polish in a couple of layers then sprinkle on fine sand or grit.
Marcus
TMMI

May 3rd, 2012, 3:22 pm #7

I wonder why.

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit
is non-slip always applied - i.e. would it not be accurate to build the kit straight from the box without adding texture?
Last edited by partisan77 on May 3rd, 2012, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 3rd, 2012, 3:25 pm #8

I think that's exactly why there's no non-slip on the kit parts, the Merkava's texture is extremely coarse and could look unconvincing if moulded in. Far better to spend time adding your own non-slip, than spending ages trying to remove unrealistic texture, then re-aaplying it!
I think it might be best to mask up the model (after priming?), airbrush Future polish in a couple of layers then sprinkle on fine sand or grit.
Marcus
TMMI
Using the sand textured Tmaiya's paint it's easy to fix the antiskid texture.

May 3rd, 2012, 8:06 pm #9

is non-slip always applied - i.e. would it not be accurate to build the kit straight from the box without adding texture?
No.