Medal?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Medal?

October 1st, 2017, 11:13 pm #1

Hello,
can anyone tell me what medal this soldier is wearing?

Thanks

Eddy

October 2nd, 2017, 12:27 am #2

Eddy,

Iron Cross First Class pinned to his chest. The ribbon in his lapel looks like the Iron Cross Second Class.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Cockle

October 2nd, 2017, 4:30 am #3

Hello,

Thanks

Eddy
Iron Cross 2nd Class with ribbon?

Steve

October 2nd, 2017, 2:17 pm #4

is a higher award, superseding the 2nd Class. A ribbon and medal for the EK 2 wouldn't be worn simultaneously. The 2nd Class medal would be represented by a ribbon if the soldier was later awarded the EK 1st Class.

October 2nd, 2017, 2:51 pm #5

From what I understand, the medal for the Iron Cross 2nd class was rarely worn on the uniform. it was customary to wear the ribbon for the second class Iron Cross in the second button hole of the jacket. I have read (unconfirmed) that the ribbon and medal for the Iron Cross second was only worn on the day the medal was presented; after that only the ribbon was worn.

October 2nd, 2017, 4:53 pm #6

Hello,

Thanks

Eddy
Hello,
thanks for your answers.
I don't think it is a EK 1st class for the unusual place it would be.
My 1 thought was a 2nd class still attached to the ribbon, but the cross itself has a different shape, the horizontal, white or metal colored part goes through the middle and the sides are going down to far, iy looks like the horizontal part have side parts like a swastika but here the parts are both going down.
The ribbon of EK 2 class has a red band in the middle and black on the outside, here it looks black and then white and red ? on the sides.
The picture is taken early war, probably in France 1940.
The ribbon looks more like on the war merit cross.

Eddy

October 3rd, 2017, 6:44 pm #7

Hello,

Thanks

Eddy
The EK is not centered on the ribbon to be EKII. There are pictures of both being worn for those that like to show off all their tinnies!!

October 4th, 2017, 8:46 am #8

Hello,

Thanks

Eddy
this soldier is wearing a panzerjacket. the lapel with the Iron cross second class ribbon

is therefore above the Iron cross first class medal he is wearing on his left breast. so it

appears to be connected with the medal. it isn`t. the way the ribbon is slanted is typical when

worn on a panzerjacket-lapel