Mashed Potatoes

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Mashed Potatoes

June 6th, 2012, 3:22 am #1

Here's a few pics of my latest diorama titled "Mashed Potatoes".

It depicts a Canadian Centurion Mk.11LR circa 1974 traipsing through a West German potato field during a NATO exercise much to the dismay of the women harvesting the potatoes. This type of cross country travel occurred uncountable times during the Cold War sometimes as a result of it being the quickest tactical route, carelessness, or sometimes just because of being navigationally challenged.

Authorized travel through fields did occur during exercises most commonly after the crops were harvested but it was frowned upon more and more by the West German citizens and it was costly for NATO militaries who had to pay for damages to crops and other property. Driving through an unharvested field was highly verboten!

Cold War dioramas aren't typically overly exciting so I wanted to try something outside the norm of a training area or range setting. It was a challenge to try to replicate the cultivated farm field and I will probably do a few more tweaks on it.

Oh, it took a while to make all the individual potatoes from Apoxie Sculpt.

Last edited by Jason Bobrowich on June 6th, 2012, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 6th, 2012, 4:27 am #2

Jason,

I love it, it looks great the idea is very simple and well exicuted.

Anto

June 6th, 2012, 5:20 am #3

It depicts a Canadian Centurion Mk.11LR circa 1974 traipsing through a West German potato field during a NATO exercise much to the dismay of the women harvesting the potatoes. This type of cross country travel occurred uncountable times during the Cold War sometimes as a result of it being the quickest tactical route, carelessness, or sometimes just because of being navigationally challenged.

Authorized travel through fields did occur during exercises most commonly after the crops were harvested but it was frowned upon more and more by the West German citizens and it was costly for NATO militaries who had to pay for damages to crops and other property. Driving through an unharvested field was highly verboten!

Cold War dioramas aren't typically overly exciting so I wanted to try something outside the norm of a training area or range setting. It was a challenge to try to replicate the cultivated farm field and I will probably do a few more tweaks on it.

Great dio idea.

June 6th, 2012, 9:17 am #4

the day before, to ensure that his field didn't 'accidentally' get driven over; or possibly, the famer paid the crew the required amount to ensure his field DID get driven over, to ensure he could them make a claim for the loss of the produce!

Both true incidents that happened during my time in BAOR...

Graeme

FS1

June 6th, 2012, 12:36 pm #5

Nice scene. Some interaction between the woman with the outstretched and one crew member would have tied in nicely, IMO...

June 6th, 2012, 5:18 pm #6

Great idea Jason. It is really lively and reminds me of some old times !

I just find the Hushpuppy tracks are too clean after driving in the field.

Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/index.htm
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm
Last edited by Olivier Carneau on June 7th, 2012, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm

June 6th, 2012, 6:41 pm #7

But when we did it in a chieftan, the civvis ended up chucking the potatoes at us.

Memories,

That's just great, fantastic camp and finish

Malc.

http://malcolmireson.co.uk/

June 6th, 2012, 9:49 pm #8

Great idea..........funny

June 7th, 2012, 12:37 am #9

Jason, that looks great and very creative.

Sean Lynch
AMPS 2nd VP Mid-West

June 7th, 2012, 1:24 am #10

the day before, to ensure that his field didn't 'accidentally' get driven over; or possibly, the famer paid the crew the required amount to ensure his field DID get driven over, to ensure he could them make a claim for the loss of the produce!

Both true incidents that happened during my time in BAOR...

Graeme
Great story Graeme...and who said the Cold War didn't pay off!