Marder III WiP

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Marder III WiP

June 28th, 2011, 11:30 am #1

Hi Guys,
Here are some early shots of my latest project (NOT a Tiger!). This is probably one of the ugliest vehicles of WWII but somehow quite appealing! These UM kits are a good basis, but need work on the over simplified areas such as the fighting compartment interior.

Steve.

June 28th, 2011, 11:28 pm #2

I too am a fan of the UM Marder kit, I have a stack of these. Will this be a Russia or North Africa model?

June 29th, 2011, 12:24 am #3

Hi Guys,
Here are some early shots of my latest project (NOT a Tiger!). This is probably one of the ugliest vehicles of WWII but somehow quite appealing! These UM kits are a good basis, but need work on the over simplified areas such as the fighting compartment interior.

Steve.
Looks good Steve,
I really like the UM 38t based SP kits

built most just need to pull finger to get them past the basecoat

Cheers Elliott

June 29th, 2011, 12:03 pm #4

Hi Guys,

Steve.
Hi Steve,

A nice diversion from the Tigers, I too really like the UM range of kits based on the Pz38t and intend to build some more in the future. This one is really an ugly beast, defines the meaning of 'lash up', but for all that I like it too. Look forward to the paint job, excellent work so far.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

June 29th, 2011, 1:45 pm #5

Hi Guys,

Steve.
Steve, it isn't a Tiger but it seems great too.

Regards.

Pedro.

June 30th, 2011, 10:41 am #6

Hi Guys,

Steve.
Well done Steve. Nicely spotted and executed corrections. I built this kit a month ago, too, and also thought there was something fishy with the gun mount. I did not carry out any major corrections, though, but yours looks the part.

Mine is here:http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... asc-20.php

June 30th, 2011, 11:46 am #7

I too am a fan of the UM Marder kit, I have a stack of these. Will this be a Russia or North Africa model?
Hi Jon, haven't decided yet, probably Russian front as I have more references for that.

Steve

June 30th, 2011, 11:51 am #8

Well done Steve. Nicely spotted and executed corrections. I built this kit a month ago, too, and also thought there was something fishy with the gun mount. I did not carry out any major corrections, though, but yours looks the part.

Mine is here:http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... asc-20.php
Hi Marko,
Thanks for that. One of the joys of these little kits is figuring out what is wrong and correcting it! The gun mount still isn't right but there is a limit to what you can do without scratchbuilding the whole thing. The crew seats are the things that are bothering me the most as they are completely the wromg style and shape. More pics soon.

Steve

June 30th, 2011, 10:56 pm #9

Hi Guys,

Steve.
Hi Steve,
Besides appreciating your great first name I like your Marder 38T. A while back I built the attach and the UM Marder 38Ts at the same time and found the UM kit superior. Considering this is a complicated build you did a nice job. My main complaint was thickness of the superstructure sides and gun shield, and the flat etched-brass basket.
You had the same problem as I do with link & length tracks: getting them straight and even around the sprockets and idler wheels, this is whay sometimes I prefer band tracks!
The periscopes on the gun shield are a nice touch, did they come with the kit? I don't remember.
Thanks for posting, I look forward to the finished model.

Steve Brezinski

July 1st, 2011, 11:31 am #10

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the comments. You are right about the superstructure plate thickness, I have thinned them by about 50% but its probably still not enough. The etched basket I can live with as I will cover most of it with a tarp and stowage - always a good getout! I only noticed the problem with the track after I had photographed it so I will attempt to correct it. I generally like L&L tracks but sometimes the are just too fiddly. The periscopes come from the PART etched brass set for the Tiger I - I have quite a few of those!

Steve