Marder II "Coal Thief" stowage

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Marder II "Coal Thief" stowage

September 28th, 2017, 4:39 pm #1

On the right rear hull side of this well known vehicle is a stowed item. It's circular with a tube sticking out. You can see it just behind the side armor. The only think I can think of it being is a hand operated fuel pump of some sort. Any other ideas? A fuel pump makes sense since the vehicle's fuel cap is right inside the armored side.

Last edited by Tom Cockle on September 29th, 2017, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVID NICKELS

September 28th, 2017, 6:34 pm #2

...that's what it looks like to me, too....except the end of the "pick-up tube" doesn't look hollow...Hmmm, maybe it's not a fuel pump after all.

September 28th, 2017, 6:47 pm #3

But I can't think of anything else that it would be (that is a normal item).
DAVID NICKELS

September 29th, 2017, 2:36 pm #4

On the right rear hull side of this well known vehicle is a stowed item. It's circular with a tube sticking out. You can see it just behind the side armor. The only think I can think of it being is a hand operated fuel pump of some sort. Any other ideas? A fuel pump makes sense since the vehicle's fuel cap is right inside the armored side.

Hi David

Do you mean the LEFT hand side vehicle? As in left hand side when seated in the drivers seat.

If so the circular item is the the ' cold water transfer tube' part of the winter starting kit. The same stowage fitting is on the Wespe.

The. Horizontal tube next to it I believe to be the tube that holds the one crewman gas mask extension pipe.

Finally the gun recoil rails are covered with the weather protection canvas cover.

Regards
Andrew

September 29th, 2017, 2:57 pm #5

Wedged in the right corner just above where the fuel filler cap would be inside. At least that is how it looks to me. There are no tubes stored on the left side wall. There are boxes, a bracket, the radio antenna and its mount. At least that is how it looks to me (and how the real vehicle is laid out). You can see a shadow of a handle on the right side armor so its obviously not on the tank's left side.
DAVID NICKELS

September 29th, 2017, 8:46 pm #6

Hi Steve

I think what you are seeing is the rear travel lock which is in the up position. The think light and angle are giving a false perspective.

As for the shadow. Going by the shadows the sun is at the 11-13.00 position and shinning directly down. There's a telephone pole to the left of the Marder. The shadow could be from something caught on a wire above the Marder, maybe a twisted piece of paper or cloth

I've used the Nuts and Bolts and Actung Panzer no7 as refs.

Regards
Andrew

September 29th, 2017, 9:06 pm #7

The drawings in the Achtung Panzer book of the fighting compartment interior and a nice set of walk around photos of the restored Ft.Benning/APG vehicle (which Tamiya seems to have worked from).

DAVID NICKELS

September 29th, 2017, 9:34 pm #8

Hi David
Not doubting your refs.
The N&B book has some good clear photos of the rear travel lock. This seems to match the photo very well. Even down to the release handle which is discernible in your photo.

As with the shadow. Going by the position of the sun there's nothing I can see in the vehicle to give this shadow.

Of course I could be wrong but this is my take on the photo
Andrew

September 29th, 2017, 10:06 pm #9

I figure since its not a fixed item it is optional. But, I was curious as to what it was. I found a better version of the photo with more detail. But not that much more.

You know, the old Tamiya kit is really not that bad. I've seen a lot worse, especially since the kit goes back to the early 70s.
DAVID NICKELS

September 30th, 2017, 5:44 pm #10

The photographer: Kriegsberichter Henisch. I googled those two words and got a lot of extra pictures and info