Making Tissuepaper Tarps ?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Making Tissuepaper Tarps ?

Alan R Bessler
Alan R Bessler

February 27th, 2004, 3:28 pm #1

Could someone help in explaining how to do this,thanks very much.

Andrew Albrecht
Andrew Albrecht

February 27th, 2004, 6:41 pm #2

is to take tissue cut to the size of the tarp you want and soak it in a mixture of water and PVA (Elmer's glue here in the states). Squeeze out the excess moisture and drape it wherever/however you want it. Once dry, paint as desired. One thing to note is that you shouldn't use toilet paper for this as its designed to disolve in water.

HTH

Alan Bessler
Alan Bessler

February 27th, 2004, 7:42 pm #3

nt

Robert Langham
Robert Langham

February 28th, 2004, 11:39 am #4

is to take tissue cut to the size of the tarp you want and soak it in a mixture of water and PVA (Elmer's glue here in the states). Squeeze out the excess moisture and drape it wherever/however you want it. Once dry, paint as desired. One thing to note is that you shouldn't use toilet paper for this as its designed to disolve in water.

HTH
n/t

Alan Bessler
Alan Bessler

February 28th, 2004, 2:29 pm #5

HTH
Tissue is usally double sheets can you use them together for thicker tarps or should i use 1 sheet? how much glue to water should be mixed?
thanks

Murray A. Clark
Murray A. Clark

March 1st, 2004, 3:40 am #6

Could someone help in explaining how to do this,thanks very much.
Here's what I use. To simulate a heavy canvas tarp, use the water and white glue (PVA Glue) and instead of tissue paper, I use unbleached coffee filters. As you have already read, the glue solution tends to soften the paper, allowing it to easily tear. On the other hand, coffee filters are designed to be strong, even when soaking wet! In addition, the unbleached filters are already a tan color and take less paint to simulate the canvas color. Just my two cents...Murray A. Clark

Rick Purdy
Rick Purdy

March 1st, 2004, 11:22 pm #7

Bingo! That's a nice tip,Murrey.Thankyou for sharing your secret.
Rick

Kenneth Dauterive
Kenneth Dauterive

March 13th, 2004, 2:43 pm #8

Here's what I use. To simulate a heavy canvas tarp, use the water and white glue (PVA Glue) and instead of tissue paper, I use unbleached coffee filters. As you have already read, the glue solution tends to soften the paper, allowing it to easily tear. On the other hand, coffee filters are designed to be strong, even when soaking wet! In addition, the unbleached filters are already a tan color and take less paint to simulate the canvas color. Just my two cents...Murray A. Clark
I've never used this technique before, so take this for what it's worth, but my coffee filters, once used, tend to be somewhere close to the right color. So why not adapt the idea and simply add the proper pigment to the water/glue mix? The paper will take it up, so it will be the proper color on both sides and from all angles; and if you've got the color right the only thing you'll have to do is spray matte varnish over it to kill the gloss from the glue.