Making hedgerows

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Making hedgerows

Peter Nissinen
Peter Nissinen

August 19th, 2003, 5:37 pm #1

I´m currently working on a diorama with a Tiger 1 and some tank hunters in Normandy. I´m having some trouble with making the hedgerows, so I´m wondering what the best method is for this. Using foam would probably look quite weird, since the dio is 1/35.
All ideas and tips welcome!

/Peter

August 19th, 2003, 6:50 pm #2

Peter,
here is a hedgerow scene I built. I used some Woodland Scenics products (trees, lychen, etc.) and just 'played around with it until I got what I was looking for. If you want more info, email me. HTH
Robert
?dc=4675434154546705390[/img]

Niel Henkemans
Niel Henkemans

August 19th, 2003, 9:41 pm #3

I´m currently working on a diorama with a Tiger 1 and some tank hunters in Normandy. I´m having some trouble with making the hedgerows, so I´m wondering what the best method is for this. Using foam would probably look quite weird, since the dio is 1/35.
All ideas and tips welcome!

/Peter
take some seafoam and glue it on a small branch or wroot. Form a small bush with it and spay it with glue. Sprinkle herbs (NO foamflocks) over it and airbrush it to get the wright color.

more on:
http://groups.msn.com/Dutchmodelbuildin ... snw?Page=6
if you have any more questions i'll be happy to answer them

Peter Nissinen
Peter Nissinen

August 22nd, 2003, 7:16 am #4

Is there any substitute for seafoam?

/Peter

Niels Henkemans
Niels Henkemans

August 22nd, 2003, 5:20 pm #5

... seafoam has a nice structure and it shouldn't be to hard to get it (try modeltrainshops).
GRTZ Niels

Peter Nissinen
Peter Nissinen

August 22nd, 2003, 10:54 pm #6

I´ll see if I can get it. Thanks for the help!

/Peter

August 24th, 2003, 8:11 am #7

Is there any substitute for seafoam?

/Peter
It doesn´t look quite as good as seafoam, but good enough for me. The thing I´ve experimented with is white moss. After leaving it in a burnt umber wash over the night it gets a darker color. I soon noticed that when the turpentine evaporates the color disappears, but if I leave it for longer in the wash it might work.

/Peter

August 24th, 2003, 3:09 pm #8

After some sprinkled-on herbs the moss loks much better. A cheap way of making hedgerows without too much work. Spraying it with hairspray afterwards seals all the small "leaves" and prevents that the stuff gets old and brown.

Try it!

/Peter

August 26th, 2003, 12:10 am #9

I will try it on my next project.......

thanks....russell smitheram