Making Grass Fields

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Making Grass Fields

Jason Ty
Jason Ty

January 12th, 2002, 12:10 pm #1

I'm new to diorama and I need some easy instructions on how to make a grassland with trees on it. anywhere on the web can I find a step by step with pictures showing how?

thanks!

Charles Latham
Charles Latham

January 13th, 2002, 4:29 am #2

Doc Dios (http://fp.docdio.f9.co.uk/) has an article on making trees. Best regards, Charles.

Jason Ty
Jason Ty

January 14th, 2002, 3:42 am #3

Some questions about static grasses, are they made or purchase? where can In purchase them?

Barry Beckermann
Barry Beckermann

January 14th, 2002, 4:06 am #4

Look for this at Model railroad hobby shops .Woodland scenics is a popular company in the U.S. and they have several different colors and textures .

Jason Ty
Jason Ty

January 14th, 2002, 4:14 am #5

Barry,

Aside from railroad hoby shops where can I find them? Woodland scenrics? never hear of it what's the primary use of that thing? for modelling?

Charles Latham
Charles Latham

January 14th, 2002, 7:46 pm #6

Their products are designed for model railroads. But, many items can be used for armor dios. www.woodlandscenics.com Best regards, Charles

Ron hetherington
Ron hetherington

January 14th, 2002, 11:08 pm #7

I'm new to diorama and I need some easy instructions on how to make a grassland with trees on it. anywhere on the web can I find a step by step with pictures showing how?

thanks!
Try getting some twine or small rope. The Woodland stuff is good, but if you are planning on a large base, that will get pricey. You can go to your local Hardware store, go to the lumber dept. and ask them for some twine to tie down what ever to your car or just buy a roll.
Cut the twine at your desired length, then unravel the cut part and glue.
Ron Hetherington
veezerboy@cs.com

Scott Trerrotola
Scott Trerrotola

January 15th, 2002, 11:20 am #8

thanks!
OK, this might sound bizzare but here's a real easy way to make tall field grass;
Pick up several 4 or 5 inch painters brushes from your local hardware store. Make sure you get the cheapest ones in stock- don't pay more than two bucks each for them. Now take an old piece of material (an old flannel shirt, etc.) preferrably in a dark earth color. Dab the end of the brushes into white glue and stand them upright (90 degrees) onto your cloth material. Once they are dry, cut the surrounding cloth with a pair of scissors and cut the bristles from the handle at different lengths to simulate variations in grass height. You can then airbrush them green or any color you like or even soak them in water w/ food coloring or even clothing dye. Once dry, they can be glued to your base in staggered rows to simulate a vast field. The result is pretty nice because you have grass that stands up nice and straight. the only trick is to have something to keep the brushes upright while the glue dries - try a cardboard box with holes cut out ... and be sure to put some newspaper under the cloth so that the glue doesn't soak through to your workbench.