M8 Greyhound in British use in WW2

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

M8 Greyhound in British use in WW2

June 16th, 2012, 10:29 am #1

Hi guys,

I understand that the M8 was used by the Brits during WW2. Which Reg was it used and were any of them used in together with Cruiser tanks such as Cormwell/Comet or Inf Tanks such as Crocodile ?

Thanks

Alex

June 16th, 2012, 7:54 pm #2

I thought we gave them the Staghounds, they got our greyhounds too?

Owen
Unbelieving

June 16th, 2012, 10:06 pm #3

Hi guys,

I understand that the M8 was used by the Brits during WW2. Which Reg was it used and were any of them used in together with Cruiser tanks such as Cormwell/Comet or Inf Tanks such as Crocodile ?

Thanks

Alex
Definitely used by the Royal Canadian Dragoons in North West Europe, Winter of 1945. (It was not official War Establishment issue to them (they were slated for Staghounds) but they somehow acquired several from 21AG in error (and wouldn't give them back so the storey goes).

This was a wheeled RECCE regiment and usually operated independently of tanks.

T.K.

Last edited by Tom Kaszas on June 16th, 2012, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 16th, 2012, 10:10 pm #4

Hi guys,

Thanks

Alex
Derbyshire Yeomanry rings a bell from somewhere. n/t.

June 16th, 2012, 11:30 pm #5

IIRC it was in the last of David Fletcher's HMSO series on British Armour - The Universal Tank - and it was with reference to the fact that the rear tyres were being punctured by spent .50 cal cartridges as they were ejected from the gun - I think the first of the dual rear wheels was throwing up the cartridges which was then puncturing the second rear wheel due to the close coupling.

Must have been 1DY coming up into Austria from Italy as 2DY kept their Daimlers right through to the victory parades

sk

June 17th, 2012, 1:16 pm #6

Definitely used by the Royal Canadian Dragoons in North West Europe, Winter of 1945. (It was not official War Establishment issue to them (they were slated for Staghounds) but they somehow acquired several from 21AG in error (and wouldn't give them back so the storey goes).

T.K.
RCD received six M8 Greyhounds while in Italy because there was no Staghounds available at the time.

RCD was the Armoured Car Regiment of 1ST Cdn Corps. However when it was decided to add a second Infantry Brigade to the 5th Cdn Armoured Division, the Recce Regt from 1st Cdn Infantry Division was converted into an Infantry battalion and transferred to the new brigade. RCD then became the Recce Regt of 1CID and served in that role from about Aug. 1944 to Mar. 1945 when 1st Cdn Corps moved to NWE, and RCD reverted to their role as 1st Cdn Corps Armoured Car Regt.

June 17th, 2012, 6:39 pm #7

T.K.
Sherman a Sherman as this was another British name...as were the majority of American tanks were named by the Brits. Henceforth all US medium tanks called (Sherman) will only be called M-4's on Network 54 pages. Sounds rather silly does it not?
Ken
King of all Shermaholics

June 17th, 2012, 7:55 pm #8

My intent was to confirm to the "unbelieving" that the British did use the vehicle and in fact gave it its nickname.

Tom K.

June 17th, 2012, 10:42 pm #9

Hi guys,

Thanks

Alex
........in Austria 45
regards Andrew

June 18th, 2012, 8:35 am #10

Nice to know that the odd brain cell works and I can still remember some things , a quick search here brought this up:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/th ... tish+usage

John