M7 Priest 11th RHA

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

M7 Priest 11th RHA

August 3rd, 2012, 12:12 am #1

I am looking for information about the camouflage M7 Priest 11th RHA of the Tunis in 1943 photo IWM NA2313.I have three option:desert pink and SCC 1A, desert pink and SCC 2, desert pink and US No9 olive drab.Which is appropiate.

August 3rd, 2012, 9:47 am #2

Hi Marek,
That's the back-to-front photo, right?

My guess would be mud over US Olive Drab.

August 3rd, 2012, 1:07 pm #3

For what it's worth (and assuming it is actually the same vehicle) - Barry Beldam shows it on Armoured Acorn as SCC1a over desert pink in his colour profile - Non Canadian Vehicle markings Part 26 Late Desert - Page 4.

Tom K

August 4th, 2012, 6:48 am #4

I am looking for information about the camouflage M7 Priest 11th RHA of the Tunis in 1943 photo IWM NA2313.I have three option:desert pink and SCC 1A, desert pink and SCC 2, desert pink and US No9 olive drab.Which is appropiate.
A plate & the photo of this photo is in the New Breed (Plate I 1a) and described by Dennis, Leife & Mike as Chocolate over Desert Pink. The Flag is speculated as White over Green "Come Ahead". There was a lot of speculation that the battery marking was in two colours but an indepth study of the full size IWM print (far superior in resolution to the Tank Museum copies) showed that the darker portion is simply where the dust had been wiped from it. This is far from conclusive and Mark Mackenzie pointed me to a picture of an 11 RHA OP Stuart (Mil Mod Vol 38 No 3 M7 at Alamein) which has a clearly segmented/two colour Triangle so it may have been but if it is on that vehicle it is pretty rough. Other A Battery 11 RHA Priest photos didn't show any colour colour demarcation inluding the cover shot where you can see the demarcation on the Aos but not the Triangle (at least as I see it). I think this is going to be one of those like the 2AB tp markings colour where there is a healthy debate about the colours. I do not proffess to be right on this, just stating how I see it having studdied the hi res photos of these.
Cheers
Al
Last edited by Al Bowie on August 5th, 2012, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.