M548 finished!

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

M548 finished!

August 29th, 2011, 2:21 pm #1

Hi everyone,
Time to post my latest finished project, AFV Club's M548. I built it using NO aftermarket, just to see if it could be done, as I had heard a lot of negative things about the kit. Here's what I did to mine:

Major rebuild of the cab, to include repositioning the instrument panel, added missing details, rebuilding all the seats, added missing grab handle, opened drivers' door, added all missing detail to both doors, added accelerator pedal and linkage, and heater box.

Filled NASTY, stepped, ill-fitting nose, added all missing weld seams.
Made cargo tie-downs using .010 brass rod.
Cargo & cab tops covered in tissue/white glue. Grommets drilled in cargo cover, and ties laced with thread. Cargo tarp had rear rebuilt to look closed, (kit has it open)and tie downs added.
Cab cover had gun ring hole covered as well, them Apoxie Sculpt was used to ensure cover fit the windscreen.

Kit track used after MUCH cleanup and test fitting.
PE screen added over engine grates.
Side skirts removed and scratched bolt heads added in appropriate locations.
Windshield wipers rebuilt.
50 cal. & ring detailed/corrected.
Drilled out both spare track links on front of vehicle.
The vehicle was painted in Tamiya, with airbrushed "dirt", then MIG pigments added, then a second "wet" mud added, and finally rain streaked using thinned gloss.

All that said, here's the pix. Opinions & comments welcome.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

August 29th, 2011, 2:53 pm #2

The pictures show your work very well. I particularly like the weathering you've done. Put her on a muddy base. I hear they had some mud in VN. Stay classy, Dave

August 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm #3

Mucho appreciato, amigo! Yeah, you're right about the mud, I heard there was enough mud to lose an unfinished StuG III in!
Stay interesting, buddy!
Rod

August 29th, 2011, 5:17 pm #4

Hi everyone,
Time to post my latest finished project, AFV Club's M548. I built it using NO aftermarket, just to see if it could be done, as I had heard a lot of negative things about the kit. Here's what I did to mine:

Major rebuild of the cab, to include repositioning the instrument panel, added missing details, rebuilding all the seats, added missing grab handle, opened drivers' door, added all missing detail to both doors, added accelerator pedal and linkage, and heater box.

Cargo & cab tops covered in tissue/white glue. Grommets drilled in cargo cover, and ties laced with thread. Cargo tarp had rear rebuilt to look closed, (kit has it open)and tie downs added.
Cab cover had gun ring hole covered as well, them Apoxie Sculpt was used to ensure cover fit the windscreen.

The vehicle was painted in Tamiya, with airbrushed "dirt", then MIG pigments added, then a second "wet" mud added, and finally rain streaked using thinned gloss.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Love your attention to details like the string to keep the tarp secured !
Really nice job Rod for a rarely seen vehicle.

Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/index.htm
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm
Last edited by Olivier Carneau on August 29th, 2011, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier

August 29th, 2011, 6:01 pm #5

Hi everyone,

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
back at Baumholder or Graf.on one of the tank trails.
J

August 29th, 2011, 6:03 pm #6

Love your attention to details like the string to keep the tarp secured !
Really nice job Rod for a rarely seen vehicle.

Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/index.htm
You're right, a rarely seen vehicle. I like the way this one turned out, and surprisingly, doing the tarp ties was a lot easier than I thought it would be!
Thanks again,
Rod

August 29th, 2011, 6:04 pm #7

back at Baumholder or Graf.on one of the tank trails.
J
Now THAT is a compliment! Much appreciated!
Rod

August 29th, 2011, 7:14 pm #8

Hi everyone,

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Great build / paint / weathering overall, but the cavas top is truly outstanding. Kudos
justin

August 29th, 2011, 7:44 pm #9

Yeah, I hate to sound arrogant, but that top does set the whole thing off. I just wanted to try to build something using my "skills", the kit, and NO aftermarket for a change!
Thanks for looking!
Rod

August 29th, 2011, 10:06 pm #10

Hi everyone,

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Good job Rod...Well done...

http://battletankpower.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Tankfreak on August 29th, 2011, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.