M51 ... a bit unusual one...

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

M51 ... a bit unusual one...

June 5th, 2012, 9:37 pm #1

Hi to All! ... sometimes you find in your stash a kit with some part incorrect or unusable, so, sometimes, mixing kits you can get a passable kit...Using a fine scale Factory turret coupled with a UM M4A3 HVSS hull I tried to obtain a welded hull M51, 1967 model...

... any comment, welcome!!!
Cheers, Fabrizio

June 6th, 2012, 5:25 am #2

Hi Fabrizio,
assembly and modification of a true master.

Saluti e Buon Modellismo

June 6th, 2012, 6:53 am #3

Hi to All! ... sometimes you find in your stash a kit with some part incorrect or unusable, so, sometimes, mixing kits you can get a passable kit...Using a fine scale Factory turret coupled with a UM M4A3 HVSS hull I tried to obtain a welded hull M51, 1967 model...

Cheers, Fabrizio
Great build. Attention to detail is fantastic. Well done. What are you going to use as colour?

As of a side note: The info I have is that the track holder on the turret and two boxes on the hull are from the 73 batch, but I could be wrong since I still don't have "Lion and Lioness of the line 2"

Keep us posted please

Cunha

Replace .arroba. by the at symbol

June 6th, 2012, 7:18 am #4

Cheers, Fabrizio
Mixing and matching or kitbashing is always a good idea Fabrizio! I use it a lot to make as many different models possible. This one looks great and will fit well in a row of "Ishermans ".

It actually makes me wonder how many different Shermans the Israeli 's made in all those years and if they still have / use them?

Cheers , Alfred

June 6th, 2012, 7:36 am #5

Great build. Attention to detail is fantastic. Well done. What are you going to use as colour?

As of a side note: The info I have is that the track holder on the turret and two boxes on the hull are from the 73 batch, but I could be wrong since I still don't have "Lion and Lioness of the line 2"

Keep us posted please

Cunha

Replace .arroba. by the at symbol
According to my sources, Israeli Sherman by Tom Gannon, there are documented evidences of the presence of the so called 1973 stowage scheme ( two boxes on the hull, spare tracks holder on the turret) also in 1967...all the pictures I saw of this relatively rare version of the M51 show this stowage scheme, including one dated 1967, west bank ...Obviously, any feedback on this matter would be really welcomed ...
Fabrizio

June 6th, 2012, 7:40 am #6

Mixing and matching or kitbashing is always a good idea Fabrizio! I use it a lot to make as many different models possible. This one looks great and will fit well in a row of "Ishermans ".

It actually makes me wonder how many different Shermans the Israeli 's made in all those years and if they still have / use them?

Cheers , Alfred
"Israely shermanology" is a branch of its own inthe fascinating world of Shermans.... As far as I know, the M51 was phased out from the reserve forces of Tshal in late 80's...at least 100 of them was sold to chile, starting from the mid 70's and served until 2000-2002 ..
Cheers, Fabrizio

June 6th, 2012, 7:41 am #7

Hi Fabrizio,
assembly and modification of a true master.

Saluti e Buon Modellismo

June 6th, 2012, 9:01 am #8

Cheers, Fabrizio
Outstanding work, Fabrizio.If I'll ever build a "Sherman" I'll ask you to be my personal assistant. The hull, of which model came from?.
I'll wait impatiently the forward progresses!
Have a good morning.

Federico.

June 6th, 2012, 4:14 pm #9

Cheers, Fabrizio
Hi Fabrizio
beautiful beast full of details!I like a lot the Middle East and have various kits in progress,but I haven't a lot of time for us.
I'm really impressed very well done,I'm waiting it with the color!

Ciao

Angelo

June 6th, 2012, 4:23 pm #10

Outstanding work, Fabrizio.If I'll ever build a "Sherman" I'll ask you to be my personal assistant. The hull, of which model came from?.
I'll wait impatiently the forward progresses!
Have a good morning.

Federico.
The hull is from UM kit M4A3 HVSS, wich has an almost unusable T23 turret ....
Fabrizio