M51 (1973) WIP

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

M51 (1973) WIP

June 24th, 2012, 4:33 pm #1

This is my M51 modified from the Tamiya kit, uses Tasca HVSS bottom hull and suspension, AFV club track, Tasca bits, lots of scratchbuilding and accurising. Will have a set of ABER M50 PE thrown at it plus Elefant jerry can holders and AA cans.

As I am working in Italy for a couple of months I brought it with me along with my airportable modelling kit as it gives me something to do in the evening.These pics were taken in my rented apartment table!! sorry about the quality.

will post updates as they come along

MJH
Last edited by Mark Hazzard on June 24th, 2012, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 24th, 2012, 4:58 pm #2

Work so far! Keep the photos coming as they are available!

June 24th, 2012, 5:24 pm #3

This is my M51 modified from the Tamiya kit, uses Tasca HVSS bottom hull and suspension, AFV club track, Tasca bits, lots of scratchbuilding and accurising. Will have a set of ABER M50 PE thrown at it plus Elefant jerry can holders and AA cans.

As I am working in Italy for a couple of months I brought it with me along with my airportable modelling kit as it gives me something to do in the evening.These pics were taken in my rented apartment table!! sorry about the quality.

MJH
Such clean building. Are those weld lines from putty? How do you apply it so cleanly?

Looking awesome!

Pete from Seattle

June 24th, 2012, 5:58 pm #4

MJH
Howdy Mark, you have done a great job of piecing that jigsaw puzzle of different parts and styrene together. The only thing that jumps out at me is the right armored cover on the engine deck appears to be crooked. I look forward to seeing more of your progress and the final painted product.
Outta here, Mike sends . . .
Last edited by Michael Mummey on June 24th, 2012, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 24th, 2012, 6:31 pm #5

actually the armoured covers are just placed there, I have to build the mesh screens over the apertures yet and left my mesh in the UK!!

I have been planning this model for over 20 years, I originally started building a master for AA then the DML kit came out, hence the correction set!. I got together all the bits and measurements to build one from the DML operation Cobra M4A1 but when Tamiya did theirs it saved a lot of time and work.I am binning all the Tamiya stowage and scratchbuilding the lot or using PE parts. The barrel is the Eduard SU100 barrel, its just perfect and with a little care takes the muzzle brake

I reckon Ive seen just about every surviving M51 there is starting in 1988, in the UK, America, Israel, Russia and Holland, plus lots of other generic bits on other IDF shermans (just ask Tom G!), so IDF shermans are not puzzling to me. I even came up with the hull batch numbering system (didnt know about batch 0 then, ie M51 with a radial, you never stop learning)

Ive spotted a few things on M51s that no one else has yet noticed including Dr M, so keep them peeled for when this starts to come together. Glad you like it so far

now isnt the AMPS theme next year US Civil War Generals......
Last edited by Mark Hazzard on June 24th, 2012, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 24th, 2012, 6:33 pm #6

Such clean building. Are those weld lines from putty? How do you apply it so cleanly?

Looking awesome!

Pete from Seattle
Its squadron 'white stuff' applied between two strips of masking tape, sanded when dry and then the masking tap is removed, I've got to pyrogravue it yet, but I left that in the UK.

MJH

June 24th, 2012, 8:05 pm #7

MJH
Mark
nice work !
And if you should need something and youre around Milan, drop me a message and I can host you in my modelling cave

ciao!

Fabio

http://www.hsstudio.it

June 24th, 2012, 8:31 pm #8

I am currently working at AgustaWestland at cascina Costa next to Malpensa Airport, will be here for another 4 weeks.

I have a flat in Gallarate, where are you ? (I have a car and a satnav!!)

hope to hear soon

MJH

June 24th, 2012, 10:07 pm #9

Its squadron 'white stuff' applied between two strips of masking tape, sanded when dry and then the masking tap is removed, I've got to pyrogravue it yet, but I left that in the UK.

MJH
Pyrogravue?

June 25th, 2012, 1:40 am #10

Here is a link Brian:http://www.historexagents.com/shop/tips_pyros.php
Outta here, Mike sends . . .