M4A3 Photo interpretation help requested

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

M4A3 Photo interpretation help requested

August 10th, 2012, 5:52 am #1

Dear All,

I am trying to recreate the tank Classy Peg from this photo. I am having trouble figuring out what is going on on the back of the hull. It looks like the standard folding rack has been replaced, or is broken and extended all the way down. I'm not sure what the long oddly shaped container is either (the one below the sitting soldier's feet).

[/img]

There is also some flanged business at the bottom of the rear armor plate too.

Any help, especially pertaining to the containers, or additional photos would be greatly appreciated.

August 10th, 2012, 11:03 am #2

Ralph,

From what I can see, it looks as though the folding stowage rack is still in place (you can see the folding braces), but what looks to me like a British-style ammunition box appears to have been fastened under it. As for the flange you mentioned, Other than the exhaust deflector, I don't see anything.

Cheers!

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

August 10th, 2012, 4:58 pm #3

I've been studying this photo as well, having built the 1/72 Trumpeter kit with the Classy Peg decals. The "flange" that I think Ralph refers to is the strip of metal below the shadow of the metal box and above the exhaust deflector. I've interpreted this to be the upward edge of the stowage rack when it is in its usual deployed position as seen below. You don't see this on the plastic racks supplied with the kits, but it's typically fashioned this way on photoetch racks:

I've come to the conclusion that the rack on Classy Peg is disconnected from the supports and is hanging down, and that the metal box (British or American?) has been attached somehow.

Tim
webmaster at usarmymodels dot com
http://www.usarmymodels.com
Minnesota Military Figure Societyhttp://mmfs.wetpaint.com/
Last edited by Tim Streeter on August 10th, 2012, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 10th, 2012, 5:29 pm #4

Ok, maybe I'm not crazy. I also thought that maybe the stowage rack is disconnected and hanging there, and that the ammo box is welded to it. The only thing that doesn't quite jive with that is that it hangs down to the bottom of the armor plate, and the tray on that rack isn't wide enough to reach that far down. There also seems to be some additional narrow bracket bolted to the side of the vent deflector.

Weird.

August 10th, 2012, 7:39 pm #5

That flange sure looks like a more permanent part of the exhaust deflector than a part of the rack. Can we be sure its not part of a wading stack thats been removed? Look at the flange on the side of the exhaust deflector housing as well.

I just don't think the rack, if disconnected, would reach down that far and be that perfect of a fit on the deflector.

I don't see any evidence of the rack. Am I missing it?

Steve

August 10th, 2012, 8:46 pm #6

n/t
Last edited by Tim Streeter on August 10th, 2012, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 10th, 2012, 8:51 pm #7

That flange sure looks like a more permanent part of the exhaust deflector than a part of the rack. Can we be sure its not part of a wading stack thats been removed? Look at the flange on the side of the exhaust deflector housing as well.

I just don't think the rack, if disconnected, would reach down that far and be that perfect of a fit on the deflector.

I don't see any evidence of the rack. Am I missing it?

Steve
If the flange is left over from deep wading trunks, that would suggest that the box is attached below the stowage tray. If you look along the top edge of the box, it appears there are footman loops, as were seen along the edge of the tray to strap down items on the tray. That could mean that we are looking at the top of the metal box facing outward, unless they wanted to raise the stowage tray every time they needed access to the box.

Tim
webmaster at usarmymodels dot com
http://www.usarmymodels.com
Minnesota Military Figure Society http://mmfs.wetpaint.com/

August 10th, 2012, 10:18 pm #8

I looked at some photos of wading gear, and they do have mounts which appear similar.

I took a closer look at the photo by blowing it up, and the rear rack is definately in place. You can see the folding arm under the cloth or fabric or whatever on the right side of the tank. A small bit of it also is visible behind the British style box. I wonder if the bottom of the rack isn't doing double duty as a lid for the two boxes. The smaller ammo box on the left hand side does appear to be mounted with the lid facing out.

Also is that a large bullet or cannon hole on the center of the boxes?

Some other observations while I'm looking closely.

Notice the wolf-head marking. It appears to have a neck and bandana or cloak, which extends down to the fender bracket. It may also be wearing a hat. Neither of these are on the Tamiya decal.

Last edited by Ralph Koziarski on August 10th, 2012, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 10th, 2012, 11:11 pm #9

For one they are both for the left side, so on the right it will be backwards. There are a number of photos of Classy Peg here showing both sides from various angles.

http://hanysoland.republika.pl/war,in,the,pacific.shtml

The Wolf is taken from Disney's version of the three little pigs and in that cartoon he does wear a hat Looking at pictures of the Disney version should help.

DAVID NICKELS

August 11th, 2012, 6:25 am #10

Dear All,

I am trying to recreate the tank Classy Peg from this photo. I am having trouble figuring out what is going on on the back of the hull. It looks like the standard folding rack has been replaced, or is broken and extended all the way down. I'm not sure what the long oddly shaped container is either (the one below the sitting soldier's feet).

[/img]

There is also some flanged business at the bottom of the rear armor plate too.

Any help, especially pertaining to the containers, or additional photos would be greatly appreciated.
The rack is indeed there but the braces have clearly become detatched from the section that normally forms the near-vertical panel.  There are two boxes (B167, most likley supplied containing 2" bombs for the Sherman bomb thrower) next to each other, which have been attached to what was the floor of the rack, probably with bolts through their undersides.  It's just about the only type of British pressed steel box seen on US vehicles and is reasonably common.

I can't remember if anyone makes the B167 in plastic or resin form yet but it is easy to ID as it has a 'pi' symbol impressed on the sides (the photo shows the lids).

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps