M4A3 (75) Dry Antenna Pot from scratch...

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

M4A3 (75) Dry Antenna Pot from scratch...

November 17th, 2011, 4:24 am #1

How did I do?

Fairly simple combination of a lathe turning, mill, and drill press project. Just took a bit to get my head around the shape. The photo shows what I set up to glue the base around the turning. The drill was used to drill the wood block that held the base of the turning. The lower part of the turning is not tapered so it fits positively into the hole.

Still need add the inside cap.

Paul
Last edited by pbudzik on November 17th, 2011, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 17th, 2011, 4:30 am #2

I think you nailed it!

Mike

November 17th, 2011, 4:32 am #3

Paul

November 17th, 2011, 1:33 pm #4

Paul,
Very nice, looks just right! Have you glued your original to your model yet? I was getting this idea that you ought to get i touch with Jeff Bacanowic at Tiger Models. Your original might be used as a master for a Tiger models part...
Best regards
Tomas Enerdal

November 17th, 2011, 2:38 pm #5

will save me some work. Looks great by the way. Wait until the last week of november though as Jeff is off hunting as is usual for him at this time of year. Karl.

November 17th, 2011, 4:15 pm #6

I second that!

November 17th, 2011, 9:53 pm #7

Paul,
Very nice, looks just right! Have you glued your original to your model yet? I was getting this idea that you ought to get i touch with Jeff Bacanowic at Tiger Models. Your original might be used as a master for a Tiger models part...
Best regards
Tomas Enerdal
John Rybak
JTR Hobby/Formations
www.jtrhobby.com
www.formationsmodels.com

November 18th, 2011, 3:14 am #8

How did I do?

Fairly simple combination of a lathe turning, mill, and drill press project. Just took a bit to get my head around the shape. The photo shows what I set up to glue the base around the turning. The drill was used to drill the wood block that held the base of the turning. The lower part of the turning is not tapered so it fits positively into the hole.

Paul
I tried basically the same thing but wound up with the texture being too thick.

Will probably try again using my lathe when I get it set up.

Unless yours becomes available in resin first.

November 18th, 2011, 2:50 pm #9

How did I do?

Paul
Paul,

Very nice piece of work.

what material did you use?

Dave.

http://www.totalwarinscale.blogspot.com/

November 18th, 2011, 3:23 pm #10

got lucky and found a piece of acrylic tube that was pretty close so I only had to drill it out about 3 or 4 drill sizes. There was enough material on the outside to allow me to true it up and add a slight taper. Drilled the styrene sheet with the setup in the photo and then used the block as a jig for gluing the styrene.

LOL - it wasn't the dentistry. It really goes the other way. I'd rather have a good modeler cut on me than a good golfer. Not that there is anything wrong with golf, but you know what I mean...

Paul