M4A2 rear hull detail question...

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

M4A2 rear hull detail question...

December 14th, 2011, 4:48 pm #1

Having a bit of a quandry on proper exhaust/radiator detail arrangments for a welded hood Marine M4A2. The Sherman Minutia site shows this:

Where is the radiator?
This photo does not seem to suggest any sort of exhaust deflector. The Dragon and Tasca kits differ in their radiator and deflector details. Does anyone have any better information?

Thank you,
Paul

December 14th, 2011, 6:35 pm #2

The radiator on the M4A2 is up inside the overhang. There are actually, two. One for each engine.

There were four exhaust deflectors used on the M4A2. The two earliest are simple sheet metal affairs. Both are rendered in Tasca kits. In the M4A2 DV, the first type is on the "O" sprue, part 17. In the periscope hood Pullman M4A2, the second type is on sprue "I," part 8.

The third type is much more elaborate and has not been rendered in plastic properly to date. Dragon shows theirs in the recessed position.

Here is a 3D printed part that I'm using for SOS:

There is a top to this part, which is not in place here. It is somewhat reminiscent of the M4A3 deflector. The fourth and final type seen on very late M4A2-76, is also similar to the corresponding M4A3 part and is armored. It is also composed of two sections and also has not been done in model form to date.

Pat
MMiR

Edited for a moronic oversight.
Last edited by pstansell on December 14th, 2011, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 14th, 2011, 7:07 pm #3

Tasca "British Army Sherman III Mid Production w/Cast Driver's Hood" kits that I have. From what few photos I have, you can't really see any deflector (especially one so obvious as the large one in the Tasca kit, so could it be one of the later type either raised out of position or removed, in which case, would it even be visible?

Paul

December 14th, 2011, 8:12 pm #4

Most photos I've seen show the deflector. The smaller one seems to be mostly associated with DV tanks. Only the larger, later deflector has hinges and I'm fairly sure that it cannot be rotated back into the overhang.

Mike, Kurt?

Pat
MMiR

December 14th, 2011, 10:51 pm #5

From "Marine Armor on Tarawa"

Looks like the elaborate deflector in the Tasca Kit

Paul

December 15th, 2011, 9:42 pm #6

Having a bit of a quandry on proper exhaust/radiator detail arrangments for a welded hood Marine M4A2. The Sherman Minutia site shows this:

Where is the radiator?
This photo does not seem to suggest any sort of exhaust deflector. The Dragon and Tasca kits differ in their radiator and deflector details. Does anyone have any better information?

Thank you,
Paul
Check this photo

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/me ... A2+Exhaust

December 16th, 2011, 12:59 am #7

Paul