M48A5 more curious ...

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

M48A5 more curious ...

October 6th, 2011, 11:41 am #1

this tank belonged (a few years ago) to the Armored Cavalry Regiment Montesa No. 3 (Ceuta)...and I wanted to ask you about three things that I noticed

First.... the space between the 5 th and 6 th wheel ... it's normal for having removed the compensator roller??
Second....the hatch of the tank commander, the M48 model?? or Spanish version of the Urdan hatch ...with support for the front stock of the M113 machine gun .50???
Third... and the barrel, L7 or M68??

thanks regards

October 6th, 2011, 1:32 pm #2

Luis,
I cannot answer th efirst question but the hatch for the tank commander looks to use a M113 Machine Gun mount. The 105mm main gun has a M68 style bore evacuator - it does not have the reinforcing rings on the fromt and rear of the bore evacuator. The other differances between the L7 and M68 were internal, I want to say withthe recoil mechanism or the breach (beyond the shape). Someone can probably add more to the L7/M68 differances.

John
John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

October 6th, 2011, 2:17 pm #3

this tank belonged (a few years ago) to the Armored Cavalry Regiment Montesa No. 3 (Ceuta)...and I wanted to ask you about three things that I noticed

First.... the space between the 5 th and 6 th wheel ... it's normal for having removed the compensator roller??
Second....the hatch of the tank commander, the M48 model?? or Spanish version of the Urdan hatch ...with support for the front stock of the M113 machine gun .50???

thanks regards
about what the separation between the last round, apologies for the question has always been there ... but I had not realized until now

October 6th, 2011, 3:22 pm #4

Luis,
I cannot answer th efirst question but the hatch for the tank commander looks to use a M113 Machine Gun mount. The 105mm main gun has a M68 style bore evacuator - it does not have the reinforcing rings on the fromt and rear of the bore evacuator. The other differances between the L7 and M68 were internal, I want to say withthe recoil mechanism or the breach (beyond the shape). Someone can probably add more to the L7/M68 differances.

John
I enlarged the pic and those rings on the bore evacuator seem to be there.

Pawel

NOTE: Insert .k between my name and @ in my email address!!!

October 6th, 2011, 6:37 pm #5

After enlarging the picture, I would agree that the M48A5 in question appears to be sporting a L7 105mm gun. Thanks for catching my error.

Luis,
I had never noticed that spacing for the #6 roadwheel before... I think that I will have to check my files and references.

John
Last edited by John Charvat on October 6th, 2011, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

October 7th, 2011, 2:46 pm #6

about what the separation between the last round, apologies for the question has always been there ... but I had not realized until now
Although taken from an angle, there appears to be a more noticeable gap between the #5 and #6 road wheels of the M48A5 than between previous road wheels.

RobG
RobG

October 7th, 2011, 10:44 pm #7

thanks regards
Hi Luis,

Rob is correct! There is a wider space between the 5th and 6th road wheel. Check with your Hunnicutt "PATTON"!

Pawel's statement in respect to the GUN, 105-MM, L7 is correct!

If I interpret Hunnicutt correctly, Chrysler Espana, was responsible for the upgrade program. Maybe Chrysler Espana could purchase the L7 for less then the US M68.

Greets

Hauke