M41 Bulldog auxilliary engine exhaust

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

M41 Bulldog auxilliary engine exhaust

September 2nd, 2017, 12:46 pm #1

Hi,
After some research on the Net, it seems, there are at least 2 types of auxilliary exhausts :
- 1 running to the rear with a small muffler
- 1 running forward with a bigger one
Some pics, quite unclear, seem to show no muffler at all. Is it possible or is it just I can't see it ?
Are these mods associated with M41 marks (plain, A1, A2, A3) ?

Last question : apart from AFV Club decal sheet and Decalcomaniacs, is there any other ARVN markings for M41 ?
I'm looking for the large shields appearing on the front turret of abandonned M41 south of Quang Tri (page 56 of Concord Armor of the Vietnam war 2 Asian forces).
TIA for your replies.
Say you be alright come tomorrow
But tomorrow might not be here for you

September 2nd, 2017, 5:11 pm #2

I know the photo you refer to.
For my markings I simply get the Testor's Decal Paper and surf the net for anything I can use. I copy the photo I need to my desktop. Then using Microsoft Publisher, I set the program paper size to the proper Testor's paper dimensions. I copy and paste the pic from my desktop to Publisher which then allows me to adjust the size of the image to fit my model. Anyway, just a thought for you. Just make sure if you do that and print it, don't spray on the Testor's decal bonder until the printer ink has completely dried. Otherwise the colors will run.

September 2nd, 2017, 6:04 pm #3

Hi,
After some research on the Net, it seems, there are at least 2 types of auxilliary exhausts :
Some pics, quite unclear, seem to show no muffler at all. Is it possible or is it just I can't see it ?

Last question : apart from AFV Club decal sheet and Decalcomaniacs, is there any other ARVN markings for M41 ?
I'm looking for the large shields appearing on the front turret of abandonned M41 south of Quang Tri (page 56 of Concord Armor of the Vietnam war 2 Asian forces).
TIA for your replies.
The very early M41 had no muffler for the auxiliary motor. It simply exhausted out the port on the right side of the engine deck just behind the turret.

September 2nd, 2017, 8:56 pm #4

Thanks a lot.
So, 3 solutions: without, rear and front.

September 2nd, 2017, 9:02 pm #5

I know the photo you refer to.
For my markings I simply get the Testor's Decal Paper and surf the net for anything I can use. I copy the photo I need to my desktop. Then using Microsoft Publisher, I set the program paper size to the proper Testor's paper dimensions. I copy and paste the pic from my desktop to Publisher which then allows me to adjust the size of the image to fit my model. Anyway, just a thought for you. Just make sure if you do that and print it, don't spray on the Testor's decal bonder until the printer ink has completely dried. Otherwise the colors will run.
Thanks for the process but the pic isn't clear enough to see precisely what the shield looks like.
Unless you have a better exemple ?

September 2nd, 2017, 11:34 pm #6

Hi,

TIA for your replies.
The M41 got changes during production and became the M41A1. When the two versions were upgraded later in life, the M41 became the M41A2 and the M41A1 became the M41A3. You'll see commonality between the two groups of tanks.
RobG

September 3rd, 2017, 8:51 pm #7

Thanks, Rob.
Does it mean M41/M41A2 have the small muffler to the rear and M41A1/M41A3 have the big one to the front ?

September 4th, 2017, 5:20 pm #8

but as a rule of thumb, what the M41 has, the upgraded M41A2 will have and the same with the M41A1 in regards to the M41A3.
RobG