M4/M4A1 Sherman air filter canisters

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

M4/M4A1 Sherman air filter canisters

July 9th, 2012, 12:31 pm #1

Putting aside the early "Pepperpot" filters, is there a time-line for the so-called "Square" and "Round" types?

Was one of them "early" or "late"? Or were they both contemporary and simply from different manufacturers?

In other words, which was appropriate for a Tunisian M4A1 and which was appropriate for a Normandy M4A1? Or could it be either?

Thsnks in advance.

Frank

July 9th, 2012, 10:48 pm #2

The "square" filter was standard. The two round types were substitute standard, and showed up all through out production. I haven't psyched out a pattern of manufacturers so far.

Mike Canaday

July 10th, 2012, 12:10 am #3

...I guess anything goes.

Thanks again for the response.

Frank

delete abwehr 2x from email

visit frankdesisto.com

July 10th, 2012, 9:43 pm #4

The "square" filter was standard. The two round types were substitute standard, and showed up all through out production. I haven't psyched out a pattern of manufacturers so far.

Mike Canaday
Amazing!

July 10th, 2012, 11:24 pm #5

The problem is FINISHING something before the next review sample arrives or the next book has to be finished.

One day soon...

See ya in August at Georg's show.

Frank

July 11th, 2012, 3:26 pm #6

Putting aside the early "Pepperpot" filters, is there a time-line for the so-called "Square" and "Round" types?

Was one of them "early" or "late"? Or were they both contemporary and simply from different manufacturers?

In other words, which was appropriate for a Tunisian M4A1 and which was appropriate for a Normandy M4A1? Or could it be either?

Thsnks in advance.

Frank
Tony, he builds them, but never paints them, at this point he may need a refresher course in air brushing!

Mike

July 11th, 2012, 6:02 pm #7

...there was an emoticon for the Bronx Cheer. But barring that, Uncle Mikey, can you tell which finger I am holding up?

Frank

July 11th, 2012, 10:59 pm #8

Thsnks in advance.

Frank
If I didn't pick on you, you would think that I didn't like you. Does that mean that I like Andy alot??????

Mike