M36 and Calliope

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

M36 and Calliope

March 29th, 2011, 5:45 pm #1

Hello,

I finally finished a couple of models in the past two months. Here is the link:

http://henk.fox3000.com/achen.htm

Hope you enjoy the pictures. They were fun to build.

March 29th, 2011, 6:23 pm #2

Lots of great work.

Two questions--

1) Where did you get all the details for the M31? Its long been something I've considered attempting, but I can't find any good references.

2) The "$64,000 question"--WHAT was behind the "trap door" on the M31??

When they removed the 75 mm in the sponson and put on a fake barrel, I understand that the whole panel was hinged. Since all the crane apparatus is on the outside of the vehicle, WHAT did they stash in there?

March 29th, 2011, 7:37 pm #3

Hello,

Mainly because that is the stuff I like doing the most too
but not so fast!
I am battling a 1/35 DML Firefly that is horrible
(separate tracks with separate horns)
I can't wait to finish it to get back to some
1/72 Hat/Italeri/Trumpeter/Extratech/DML M36, M7, M10 projects!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Cheers Elliott

March 29th, 2011, 9:58 pm #4

Hello,

Good to see you back to producing some great vehicles. We'll have to get together soon so I can see them "live." I've actually been building lately myself. Feels good to get back to it. Did you ever try the multi-focus contact lenses?

March 29th, 2011, 11:00 pm #5

Hello,

Nice job Albert. You make it look effortless!

March 30th, 2011, 5:00 am #6

Lots of great work.

Two questions--

1) Where did you get all the details for the M31? Its long been something I've considered attempting, but I can't find any good references.

2) The "$64,000 question"--WHAT was behind the "trap door" on the M31??

When they removed the 75 mm in the sponson and put on a fake barrel, I understand that the whole panel was hinged. Since all the crane apparatus is on the outside of the vehicle, WHAT did they stash in there?
1) I usually start with searches for either war time pictures or pictures of 1/35 scale models. If lucky you might even get line-drawings. Use key words like "m31 arv" and you're probably get more than enough.

I also have a collection of books. Now you can get George Bradford's book. It has everything in 1/72 scale. I wish I had the book when I work on that project.

2) The hinged door with the dummy gun is a door for the crew to get in and out. The inside houses a winch for the crane.

Do I get the $64,000? That's alot of models!

March 30th, 2011, 5:06 am #7

Mainly because that is the stuff I like doing the most too
but not so fast!
I am battling a 1/35 DML Firefly that is horrible
(separate tracks with separate horns)
I can't wait to finish it to get back to some
1/72 Hat/Italeri/Trumpeter/Extratech/DML M36, M7, M10 projects!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Cheers Elliott
I knew you'd like the M36. I started the project when it was still Hat "Armourfast". Since you mentioned Firefly, I made a hybrid Ic awhile ago with the unfortunate Trumpeter M4. I cut off the incorrect front and added the cast front hull from Italeri. The dimension was still alittle off, but it look ok. What kind of Firefly are you working on?

March 30th, 2011, 5:08 am #8

Good to see you back to producing some great vehicles. We'll have to get together soon so I can see them "live." I've actually been building lately myself. Feels good to get back to it. Did you ever try the multi-focus contact lenses?
I am waiting for Ace to release the new Sdkfz 250 neu and UM Sherman mine roller and rocket launcher (another kind). Do you feel like order anything from your friend in Ukraine?

March 30th, 2011, 5:09 am #9

Nice job Albert. You make it look effortless!
Always enjoy looking at your models too.

March 30th, 2011, 6:41 am #10

I knew you'd like the M36. I started the project when it was still Hat "Armourfast". Since you mentioned Firefly, I made a hybrid Ic awhile ago with the unfortunate Trumpeter M4. I cut off the incorrect front and added the cast front hull from Italeri. The dimension was still alittle off, but it look ok. What kind of Firefly are you working on?
Yes I have the Armourfast M36 kits waiting for some work & the other a M36A1
I have a Armo Hybrid coming in the post, as I loved your idea of the Italeri front with the Trumpeter M4 but all my Italeri M4A1's are built or the large hoods wrecked trying to make them small hatches!
also coming in the post is the M7's which will need to be back dated, & their M4A3 QB kits for the M36A1 hull & hopefully their tracks & suspension will be good enough to hide under a M10, M36 hull?

The DML Firefly is their first 1/35 offering before they ventured into 1/72, got given Tasca NZ decals for it recently so revisited that long left project but keep finding things I need to correct on it.
once I get the tracks on & my 172 kis arrive it' going back in the box!

Cheers Elliott