M3 Medium 1942 refit?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

M3 Medium 1942 refit?

March 3rd, 2012, 9:38 pm #1

Greetings,

I been thinking of doing an M3 Lee. I hope someone can help me with a photo or information please.

I recently saw a line sketch in a reference book of an M3 Lee with the heavy duty VVSS suspension, with the trailing return roller and the track skid, titled 1942 refit or something close (unfortunately I don't have the book with me right now). Except for a post war M31 ARV I have not been able to find a wartime photo of an M3, or an M31 or M33 prime mover upgraded with the later VVSS bogies.

Anyone help here? It'd make a cool model but I would like at least to be somewhat historically accurate.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

March 3rd, 2012, 9:50 pm #2

Since the mounting points and bolt pattern are the same, there is no reason they would not fit. I had seen pictures of M4 Shermans with an early M3 type to replace a missing one and one mounted on the wrong side, so that the roller was forward. I have also seen M31s with the newer suspention on the first station and all the stations.

March 3rd, 2012, 10:27 pm #3

There are photos around at least from training.
A really cool photo (there aree several of this tank actually) is of a Grant commandtank in Italy, this has mixed heavy and light VVSS boogies, one is even positioned the wrong way around with the traling returnroller at the front!

Desert-Erik
Sweden

CU@C4

March 3rd, 2012, 11:42 pm #4

Late production M3A4s had the heavy VVSS bogies and the Australians replaced theirs on their Grants.

Best wishes,
Grant

March 4th, 2012, 4:25 am #5

Greetings,

I been thinking of doing an M3 Lee. I hope someone can help me with a photo or information please.

I recently saw a line sketch in a reference book of an M3 Lee with the heavy duty VVSS suspension, with the trailing return roller and the track skid, titled 1942 refit or something close (unfortunately I don't have the book with me right now). Except for a post war M31 ARV I have not been able to find a wartime photo of an M3, or an M31 or M33 prime mover upgraded with the later VVSS bogies.

Anyone help here? It'd make a cool model but I would like at least to be somewhat historically accurate.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen
Stephen,
I'm kind of an M3 nut, and I'm in the process of building at least one of each variant (got an M3A1, M3A3 and M3A4 done so far). In my research of these vehicles, the only ones I've seen in U.S. service with the later bogies is the M3A4. This was because they were longer and heavier than the standard tanks due to the engine (the multi-bank Chrysler). Beyond that, I think were out of frontline service by the time they would need new bogies. I will, of course, keep my eyes open, but I think the pickings are going to be slim. Perhaps training vehicles in the U.S.?
Regards,
Georg

March 4th, 2012, 12:05 pm #6

Georg,

Your point reminds me a photo I have recently seen of an early M4A2 Sherman knocked out in the USSR that had a early bogie without skid on the first station and then the heavy duty bogies on the rear two stations. I'd love to know if it started out with the early "M3" bogies or all heavy duty bogies.

Stephen

March 4th, 2012, 12:06 pm #7

Greetings,

Thanks in advance.

Stephen
for you help.

Stephen

March 4th, 2012, 11:03 pm #8

There are photos around at least from training.
A really cool photo (there aree several of this tank actually) is of a Grant commandtank in Italy, this has mixed heavy and light VVSS boogies, one is even positioned the wrong way around with the traling returnroller at the front!

Desert-Erik
Sweden

CU@C4
HVSSThe Command Tank was from 6 South African Div. NT

March 4th, 2012, 11:19 pm #9

It's a M3A3.

March 5th, 2012, 7:53 am #10

Did they move the 75mm from the hull to the turret? or is it a dummy barrel?

nice photo!

Cunha

Replace .arroba. by the at symbol