M3 halftrack + 3-inch AT gun

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

M3 halftrack + 3-inch AT gun

February 27th, 2011, 11:04 am #1

This started out as a quickie project a few months ago, but it became lost on my desk. This week I finally got around to finishing it up. It's an Italeri quickbuild M3 with a couple of modifications to the interior. Italeri designed these models for wargaming so the interior walls are bare with no detail. Rather than detailing it, I just added some stowage and ammunition tubes. The gun is from Elheim and is made of white metal. Excellent casting (the barrel even comes hollowed out) except for the wheels which I replaced with some extra ones from another Italeri M3. It was designed to be displayed in the firing position, so I had to make a new towing hitch from the original parts, plus some Evergreen and copper wire. I couldn't find any good photos of what it should have looked like when the gun was being towed. One website had photos of a modern display gun in this configuration but I don't think it's accurate. One little bump on the road and the gun would have snagged on it. My camera's flash bleached out my weathering so I tweaked it a little in Paint Shop Pro. I've been in a modeling slump for more than a year and just wanted to finish something that was quick and easy. I'm not 100% happy with the model but hopefully it will get me back in form.
Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Jeff

February 27th, 2011, 6:13 pm #2

Nice work, I too like to 'doll up' quick build models. I didn't know about Elheim, they have some interesting stuff and their guns look good, I especially like there soviet troops in NBC suits.
Last edited by centurion77 on February 27th, 2011, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 27th, 2011, 7:27 pm #3

I've been a fan of Elheim and Lamercraft for a few years now. Lots of interesting figures and there are new ones almost every month. I ordered the chem suit Soviets when they first came out. I painted them up but I haven't figured out what to do with them yet.

February 27th, 2011, 7:46 pm #4

Nice work, I too like to 'doll up' quick build models. I didn't know about Elheim, they have some interesting stuff and their guns look good, I especially like there soviet troops in NBC suits.
Hello Jeff: Very nice combination! I am not familiar with Elheim. Is there a link I can go to?

February 27th, 2011, 8:12 pm #5

Here's the link:
http://www.elhiemfigures.com/
I've always had really great service from Matthew at Elheim.

Their figures are also distributed in the US by Syr Hobbs:
http://www.syrhobbswargames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Thanks for the comments,
Jeff

February 27th, 2011, 8:23 pm #6

This started out as a quickie project a few months ago, but it became lost on my desk. This week I finally got around to finishing it up. It's an Italeri quickbuild M3 with a couple of modifications to the interior. Italeri designed these models for wargaming so the interior walls are bare with no detail. Rather than detailing it, I just added some stowage and ammunition tubes. The gun is from Elheim and is made of white metal. Excellent casting (the barrel even comes hollowed out) except for the wheels which I replaced with some extra ones from another Italeri M3. It was designed to be displayed in the firing position, so I had to make a new towing hitch from the original parts, plus some Evergreen and copper wire. I couldn't find any good photos of what it should have looked like when the gun was being towed. One website had photos of a modern display gun in this configuration but I don't think it's accurate. One little bump on the road and the gun would have snagged on it. My camera's flash bleached out my weathering so I tweaked it a little in Paint Shop Pro. I've been in a modeling slump for more than a year and just wanted to finish something that was quick and easy. I'm not 100% happy with the model but hopefully it will get me back in form.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff for something different! This was a very important combination,and I had not before seen it in 1/72 model form. I have an ancient metal model of this gun from Huston's Tracks, but was unaware of any other kit save the one offered in metal from AB Figures in Whales.
You have done a nice job of it,I like the added bits and painting.
As for trails, this gun was an amalgamation of 105 howitzer + 3" AA gun loosely speaking, so perhaps the recoil spades are removable as w/ the howitzers,and stowed on the trail arms?
Thanks again; Mark.

February 27th, 2011, 9:40 pm #7

Jeff

Nice painting and stowage. Well done

Cunha

Replace .arroba. by the at symbol

February 28th, 2011, 4:38 am #8

Jeff

I'll have to give Elhiem a try, too bad they list themselves as 20mm, which I've always thought was 1/76th--I have an old RAFM 3" gun, that is true 1/76th IIRC, but this looks just right with the halftrack, unless the 1/1 scale gun was super-humongous!

-------Tom "scale creep" Hall

February 28th, 2011, 8:10 am #9

February 28th, 2011, 12:11 pm #10

I've been a fan of Elheim and Lamercraft for a few years now. Lots of interesting figures and there are new ones almost every month. I ordered the chem suit Soviets when they first came out. I painted them up but I haven't figured out what to do with them yet.

They just gave me a small dio idea. My trumpeter T-55 will be put to good use!