M247 Dio idea

Ben Hardaway
Ben Hardaway

July 14th, 2002, 8:45 pm #1

Hey everyone,

I just found the Tamiya m-247 Sgt. York kit in a garage sale, and I just bought the Academy new m151 Mutt kit as well. I thought about putting them in diorama together. I would have them on a range somewhere in the US. The SGT york would have three tankers one of which would have his head down, and be positioned in the turrett, the other would be looking out of the drive hatch, in a sitting position. The commander would be throwing his helmet down on the ground. Next to the M151 I would have another soldier with a clip board pointing at a tree which has been torn apart by the big guns of the York. I was thinking of a tree virtually cut in half by the 40mm rounds or have it be a single main stalk, with all the branchs littering the ground. Do you think this would work.

BEN

Dan Capuano
Dan Capuano

Why not?

July 15th, 2002, 5:42 pm #2

Hi Ben, as a fellow diorama builder I think creativity is our best attribute, why wouldn't it work? go for it. You will also see this response as a posted message under Why not? Duh, my mistake, I hit post instead of respond.

Robert Skipper
Robert Skipper

hmmm...

July 20th, 2002, 5:24 pm #3

Hey everyone,

I just found the Tamiya m-247 Sgt. York kit in a garage sale, and I just bought the Academy new m151 Mutt kit as well. I thought about putting them in diorama together. I would have them on a range somewhere in the US. The SGT york would have three tankers one of which would have his head down, and be positioned in the turrett, the other would be looking out of the drive hatch, in a sitting position. The commander would be throwing his helmet down on the ground. Next to the M151 I would have another soldier with a clip board pointing at a tree which has been torn apart by the big guns of the York. I was thinking of a tree virtually cut in half by the 40mm rounds or have it be a single main stalk, with all the branchs littering the ground. Do you think this would work.

BEN
As a former redleg, I have to wonder if ADA gunners do not also do a sight to crest when laying the gun. (I'm almost certain they would, especially on a range)
If so, the scenario you describe isn't very likely, but still sounds interesting none the less.

Jared Sargent
Jared Sargent

vehicle era...

August 7th, 2002, 3:23 am #4

Hey everyone,

BEN
Sounds like a good idea for a diorama, especially since the York was an extremely poked at piece of equipment for all of the urban legends that surround it(such as shooting a latrine up). The only question I have is, did you buy the M151A1? Or is it the A2? By the point the York was being tested, the majority of the U.S. Army had migrated to the A2. Just a point of discussion. I would love to see a shredded tree though!