M1A1 detail queries

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

M1A1 detail queries

December 16th, 2011, 12:49 am #1

I have been trying to find some detail shots of the top of the engine deck and armoured fuel filler covers, I have Google searched, tried Prime Portal, no luck, so I will ask here.
The chasins that secure the locking pins for the armoured fuel fillers, do they anchor to the hull or the armoured cover?
Just inboard of the rear filler points there are what look like a pin/bolt with a hook under it, can anyone provide a picture? What are they for?
Cheers,
Shane

December 16th, 2011, 3:09 am #2

RobG
RobG

December 16th, 2011, 3:37 am #3

I have been trying to find some detail shots of the top of the engine deck and armoured fuel filler covers, I have Google searched, tried Prime Portal, no luck, so I will ask here.
The chasins that secure the locking pins for the armoured fuel fillers, do they anchor to the hull or the armoured cover?
Just inboard of the rear filler points there are what look like a pin/bolt with a hook under it, can anyone provide a picture? What are they for?
Cheers,
Shane
Shane, go to Gary's link below, page 10. There is a good picture of the armor deck bolt and washer. And pictures of the fuel fill open and closed with locking handle retaining chain mounting plainly visible.
Outta here, Mike sends . . .
Last edited by Michael Mummey on December 16th, 2011, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 16th, 2011, 3:38 am #4

RobG
Nice shots Rob. Mike sends . . .

December 16th, 2011, 6:19 am #5

Cheers,
Shane
There are only like 600 pics of ny old tank here:http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/rob_mccune/m1a1/ I'm sure about any detail you are looking for is in there somewhere.

December 16th, 2011, 1:53 pm #6

Gary
Is lhis like a prehistoric M-1? LOL! hell you were a tanker back when Dinosuars ruled the earth!
Hey do you have images of Jathead M-1a1's?

Have a Merry Christmas
Mrosko

December 16th, 2011, 6:36 pm #7

Those who crewed M60A1/A3s were Dino tankers, like Big Dawg John C. and Mumbo. I was a Jedi tanker, I only crewed the M1IPs and M1A1s.

I do have an AMPS T-shirt on.

Last edited by Gary Owsley on December 16th, 2011, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 16th, 2011, 8:11 pm #8

Gary,

Looking at the side skirt and the bustle rack, was your tank repainted? Looks green over sand?

Just asking.

Nice pic.

Matt

December 17th, 2011, 1:12 am #9

Gary
Is lhis like a prehistoric M-1? LOL! hell you were a tanker back when Dinosuars ruled the earth!
Hey do you have images of Jathead M-1a1's?

Have a Merry Christmas
Mrosko
and continued on M1IPs and M60A3TTS before moving on to M1A1 and M1A2. Now if the 48 was a dinosaur, it was one of those little quick ones from Jurassic Park.

RobG
RobG

December 17th, 2011, 6:11 am #10

Thank you gentlemen, that answers my questions.
Gary, thank you for the link, I went back to Prime Portal, and still can't find that link, or where it starts from, I even looked in the main index multiple times but to no avail!! I have book marked it anyway, it will be of huge help to me.
It it's also cool to see what you all served in too.
Thank you all,
Shane