M101A1 Howitzer - WIP

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

M101A1 Howitzer - WIP

April 9th, 2012, 8:20 pm #1

This is one of the reasons my Opel Blitz project is taking longer than planned.

Like the Blitz, it is an older Italeri kit, and it will be finished as a late 1980s USMC example.

Regards,
John

April 9th, 2012, 8:40 pm #2

How much did you lengthen the gun tube by? Or is that a collar?

Any closeups of the small detail bits you added?

I forgot where I squirreled my Italeri 105 kit to compare. Are those the kit wheels?

April 9th, 2012, 9:09 pm #3

Hi Brian,

Some more images of the work.

Mostly I've just added/replaced the stowage and equipment fittings. There is a little bit of detailing on the breech and the recoil assembly. I've also fitted the mounting plate for an M90 Chronograph under the barrel (thanks to Mike Del Vecchio for explaining what it was for).

The barrel should technically be a bit longer with the collar but I left mine as it was and just thickened the end to represent an M2A2 barrel. Having said that I recently came across a photo of a late 80s USMC gun with an earlier barrel still fitted, so it isn't an absolutely essential 'fix'.

The wheels are from an AFV Club M35 truck - more appropriate for a gun this late. The axle stubs need some modification for the wheels to fit but it's worth the effort.

Thanks to everyone on the Modern forum for fielding my questions over the past couple of weeks.

Hope that helps.

April 9th, 2012, 9:38 pm #4

Like the Blitz, it is an older Italeri kit, and it will be finished as a late 1980s USMC example.

Regards,
John

Great job on it John. It is coming along very nicely. Great additions and modifications.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

April 9th, 2012, 9:42 pm #5

Regards,
John

Nice work and great photos for anyone wanting to have a go with the old Italeri kit... like myself. I tried to sell mine without luck when the AFV C was anounnced. Decided that I'm going to build it instead and these photos will be great for making a few improvements.

Looking forward to see your M101 after the MERDEC treatement!

/E
Last edited by evr-zapper on April 9th, 2012, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2012, 11:08 pm #6

Regards,
John

I was going to put mine behind a tow vehicle with a cover to hide its sins, but will attempt to replicate what you've done sans the barrel collar.

April 10th, 2012, 12:46 am #7

Hi Brian,

Some more images of the work.

Mostly I've just added/replaced the stowage and equipment fittings. There is a little bit of detailing on the breech and the recoil assembly. I've also fitted the mounting plate for an M90 Chronograph under the barrel (thanks to Mike Del Vecchio for explaining what it was for).

The barrel should technically be a bit longer with the collar but I left mine as it was and just thickened the end to represent an M2A2 barrel. Having said that I recently came across a photo of a late 80s USMC gun with an earlier barrel still fitted, so it isn't an absolutely essential 'fix'.

The wheels are from an AFV Club M35 truck - more appropriate for a gun this late. The axle stubs need some modification for the wheels to fit but it's worth the effort.

Thanks to everyone on the Modern forum for fielding my questions over the past couple of weeks.

Hope that helps.

"The wheels are from an AFV Club M35 truck - more appropriate for a gun this late."

now why didn't I think of that! I crewed one of these in the early 90's...never crossed my mind to use the AFV Club truck wheels on it!

Great stuff John, always like seeing your work. Just tonight I was going through an old milmod that had your Warrior MRV in it, that was the kit that set me down the road of making my own bits from scratch.

From the amount of ammo boxes present, is this going to be part of a dio?

GD

April 10th, 2012, 5:09 pm #8

Thanks Graeme.

Strangely, I came across that Warrior last weekend when I was hunting for something else. All my completed kits live in boxes so sometimes it's nice to have a delve through the stack in the cupboard and remind myself what I've built over the years.

If The Warrior inspired you to start building your own stuff from scratch then that's the finest compliment I could ask for - far better than any trophy I might win.

This is the sort of modelling that I love. Resin aftermarket sets are wonderful things, but challenging myself to do the work is far more satisfying.

The M35 wheels - thank Gary Owsley rather than me. He suggested the source.

The ammo crates - I'm not aiming for a diorama but I sort of got carried away when I was producing the components and suddenly realised I had enough for about a dozen boxes

Regards,
John

April 10th, 2012, 5:23 pm #9

I was going to put mine behind a tow vehicle with a cover to hide its sins, but will attempt to replicate what you've done sans the barrel collar.
Brian,

The Italeri kit may be old but it's a good-un. With a little bit of TLC it will still hold its own against more modern opponents.

Same can be said for a number of Italeri kits from the 1970s. They've been forgotten just because they are 'old' and there is a new kid on the block, rather than because of any real failings or lack of quality.

Add a few bits and bobs and a smart paint scheme and most people will never know or care that it's the Italeri kit rather than one from Dragon or AFV Club.

Regards,
John

April 11th, 2012, 1:16 am #10

Regards,
John

John. I don't usually comment on the outstanding models here,as there are so many. Since you were detailing it so well, I thought you might want to be as accurate as possible. I could be wrong and hope I am. The only grease cap that I've seen on the 105 is recessed on the hub and round. It also has only 3 screwheads;not 8 boltheads,as on the M-35 wheel. Of course,if they did mount a complete M-35 wheel,they would have to change out or re-work the hub. Still looks good,though. If
I'm wrong,please accept my apology.......Dan