M10 duckbill conversion....

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

M10 duckbill conversion....

November 8th, 2009, 10:26 pm #1

Hey guys, some of you may have seen this build in progress on some of the other sites, tbh I've been a bit intimidated to post here because of the quality of the work on ML...

But its time to put up or shut up as they say!

I've been working on Tamiya's 1/48 M10 trying to convert it to a late version M10 to match the photo below. I also have been using Hauler's great PE sets for the interior and exterior and an aber barrel...
This is the build, the turret in this shot is about 99% finished, the hull detailing is just underway

the build is based on this image:

and today I finished up the turret and primed it:

There are alot of firsts for me on this one! First Scratch build, first 1/48 PE, first conversion, etc etc... So fire away all comments and criticisms welcome, I'm bracing myself!!
Last edited by TSkross on November 8th, 2009, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 8th, 2009, 11:12 pm #2

Sam,

It really does look great. Those duckbills really came out nice.

Nice job and welcome here.

Phil

November 9th, 2009, 3:50 am #3

Hey guys, some of you may have seen this build in progress on some of the other sites, tbh I've been a bit intimidated to post here because of the quality of the work on ML...

I've been working on Tamiya's 1/48 M10 trying to convert it to a late version M10 to match the photo below. I also have been using Hauler's great PE sets for the interior and exterior and an aber barrel...
This is the build, the turret in this shot is about 99% finished, the hull detailing is just underway

There are alot of firsts for me on this one! First Scratch build, first 1/48 PE, first conversion, etc etc... So fire away all comments and criticisms welcome, I'm bracing myself!!
the gear and pe is right on - great realism

November 9th, 2009, 12:42 pm #4

Thanks for the kind words, it really helps me keep my motivation when I'm pretty exhausted with this build!!

@Pat, the stowage is a mix of the Tamiya items, some Black Dog Resin items (not visible on this side of the turret) and epoxy putty which I rolled out thin and then either sculpted into bags or rolled up into tubes. Of course its hard to tell in the original photo but the two itmes at the front almost look like high density foam rolled up, so thats what I was going for.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you updated!

November 9th, 2009, 2:06 pm #5

hi Sam
The M10 looks real good, the turret mods are great. Also the Hauler turret ammo racks are very fiddly to put together I found. again youve done a nice clean build.

Cheers
Andrew

November 9th, 2009, 2:08 pm #6

Sam,

Congrats on yoru choice because I love the M-10s in that pic really. The conversion looks the part and the stowage too. I see you are paying great atention to detail indeed.

Just one thing, if I were you I would remove the left front fender as the one in the pic. I think that will add more character to your model.

Keep us posted.
Lu

November 9th, 2009, 7:26 pm #7

I love your model, it's very detailed, i hope to see next update soon.

Congrats.

November 9th, 2009, 9:49 pm #8

This is an excellent build, Sam! I've done this model, and I am VERY impressed with the mods you've done on this.
Not only did the duckbills turn out great, but I am loving how you re-did the turret rear walls to make them vertical, a detail many would have completely missed.

Tamiya's M10 is one of my favorite kits, and I love how this is going.

Great great work, my friend. Stick with it, it'll be a winner for sure.

Cheers, from a very impressed, Pat

November 10th, 2009, 12:25 am #9

Thanks again everyone, I'm extremely thankful for your comments

@Lu, thanks, and yes I did notice the missing fender...of course after I made it!! I just haven't gotten the heart to remove it yet...it will come
@Pat, I am really humbled by your comment, especially after viewing your fantastic firefly a couple of post down, it means a lot!

it was a long day today, and its not over yet so I don't know if I'm going to get any bench time in tonight, but I should get a couple hours tomorrow, I'll post up any progress here. Thanks again!

November 10th, 2009, 8:33 am #10

Sam that's fantastic what you showing here. I love the way you mod the kit and do this lovely details.
Really, a great build. I'm very eager to see it paint.

cheers Erik