m10 again and again...

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

m10 again and again...

February 22nd, 2010, 2:23 am #1

OK got most of the stowage painted

But I'm not sure about the tarp on the back...Just a regular dark green tarp to keep the rain off the crew's stuff or a bright air recognition panel?

I'm leaning towards a green just to keep the color palette subdued reflecting the weather and particular brutality of the battle for Aachen but I'm not sure if it needs the pop of color...

Any thoughts?

Also picked up a couple more goodies from track48...

First off the .50cal I was thinking I'd go without but I wanted to order a couple of other items (for my next, as yet unannounced project ) so I threw in this hauler detail set just for the heck of it...

...and I'm glad I did, its a great little detail set. I am very happy with the quality and engineering of the Hauler PE sets I've used, my only gripe is that the instructions are not very clear and sometimes require a bit of extra research...

I also picked up these guys:

They are from dartmoor miniatures and the sculpting seems very good, especially the postures. Its been a looooong time since I've worked with white metal....but I will be using it again very soon so this will be good practice. Compared to resin the details are a bit soft, but it is still much better than styrene.

I replaced the head of the guy with the jerry can with a gasoline resin head and gave him a steel pot (I can't imagine TD crews would really go without, being so exposed) from Tamiya's figure set I also added the chin strap hanging down that I made with scraps of PE fret. The other guy is straight from the box (I can see that I need to fix his arm with the grease gun to sit closer to his torso) Of course they still need to be filled and cleaned up a bit...

Once I finish up a few of the little details I will FINALLY be on to the weathering!!

February 22nd, 2010, 11:17 am #2

Sam,

Saty sure the M-10 is going ont he right way. THe latest additions (figures and M2HB are what it needed exactly) and with the sotwage primed totally the model seems ready for the fun at last. Just enjoy weathering and finishing, because that is the more enjoyable part of the job to me.

Keep us posted amigo.
Lu

February 22nd, 2010, 1:43 pm #3

Thanks Luciano,

I'm really looking forward to weathering it, I have to keep telling myself to slow down and take my time because I find I'm rushing to get to that stage!
I am going to be trying out some of Pat Johnston's techniques, have you seen his amazing SBS on the track48 forums?
thanks again for the kind words!

February 22nd, 2010, 3:51 pm #4

But I'm not sure about the tarp on the back...Just a regular dark green tarp to keep the rain off the crew's stuff or a bright air recognition panel?

I'm leaning towards a green just to keep the color palette subdued reflecting the weather and particular brutality of the battle for Aachen but I'm not sure if it needs the pop of color...

Any thoughts?

First off the .50cal I was thinking I'd go without but I wanted to order a couple of other items (for my next, as yet unannounced project ) so I threw in this hauler detail set just for the heck of it...

...and I'm glad I did, its a great little detail set. I am very happy with the quality and engineering of the Hauler PE sets I've used, my only gripe is that the instructions are not very clear and sometimes require a bit of extra research...

They are from dartmoor miniatures and the sculpting seems very good, especially the postures. Its been a looooong time since I've worked with white metal....but I will be using it again very soon so this will be good practice. Compared to resin the details are a bit soft, but it is still much better than styrene.

I replaced the head of the guy with the jerry can with a gasoline resin head and gave him a steel pot (I can't imagine TD crews would really go without, being so exposed) from Tamiya's figure set I also added the chin strap hanging down that I made with scraps of PE fret. The other guy is straight from the box (I can see that I need to fix his arm with the grease gun to sit closer to his torso) Of course they still need to be filled and cleaned up a bit...

Once I finish up a few of the little details I will FINALLY be on to the weathering!!
I am loving this build, Sam. The M10 is one of my favourite Tamiya kits, and you are getting the most out of it. Your stowage looks great so far, and Lu is right.....now the fun begins!

I also used that same Dartmoor figure with my M10, long ago, (the commander w/ the grease gun), and I agree with you, they are quite nice figures for white metal castings.

BTW, stick with the green tarp, I like your logic of the sombre feel of the battle for Aachen, it was a brutal fight.

I am keen to see more, Sam. Keep it coming...

Cheers Mate, Pat

February 22nd, 2010, 5:17 pm #5

Thanks for the kind words, I finished up the base colors this morning and I'm ready for the fun part! (the tarp stayed green!)
I'm looking forward to your next update on trak48, your work has been very inspirational in this build!

February 23rd, 2010, 11:59 am #6

Any thoughts?

Sam, this will be a great rendition of the faboulos M10!

I love the way you've upgraded the Tamiya kit. Now MIG it!!

Can't wait to see this one finished
Gunnar

http://www.modellbaufreunde-siegen.de/index.html