M1 Abrams factory shots

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

M1 Abrams factory shots

August 3rd, 2012, 2:14 am #1

does anyone have any leads on Abrams assembly line photos ? I've started a raw turret and hull based on the old ESCI kit and other than the few shots from the Squadron and Hunnicut books I don't have much. Trying to interpolate from TM info I have and interior shots.

Sean

August 3rd, 2012, 9:09 am #2

There is a TV programme in the 'Megafactory' series which covers the manufacture (technically re-manufacture I suppose) of the Abrams for the Aussie order. These were old hulls and turrets which were repaired and re-conditioned before the "new" tanks were built.

Hope this is of help.

jh

August 3rd, 2012, 10:49 am #3

does anyone have any leads on Abrams assembly line photos ? I've started a raw turret and hull based on the old ESCI kit and other than the few shots from the Squadron and Hunnicut books I don't have much. Trying to interpolate from TM info I have and interior shots.

Sean
Sean, There is that show 'Anatomy of an Abrams' that is played on Discovery or the Military Channel. That program has assembly line footage.

August 3rd, 2012, 12:27 pm #4

Sean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_KnkJ7wDw

Megafactory programme on YouTube

jh

August 3rd, 2012, 5:02 pm #5

August 4th, 2012, 12:22 pm #6

Sean, There is that show 'Anatomy of an Abrams' that is played on Discovery or the Military Channel. That program has assembly line footage.
looks like some of this footage is the same as in the megafactory program? I'll have to take a closer look.

Sean

August 4th, 2012, 12:23 pm #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_KnkJ7wDw

Megafactory programme on YouTube

jh
there's some good stuff there.

Sean

August 4th, 2012, 12:28 pm #8

excellent pictures ! These will really be useful .

Sean

August 7th, 2012, 4:42 pm #9

Sean
Defense Forum India has a couple of interesting threads on all flavors of M1 Abrams:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/mili ... brams.html

August 7th, 2012, 10:38 pm #10

Sean
Went to the tank plant in Lima Ohio in the early 90's. They were building M1A1,s and rebuilding M1,s to M1A2's. No camaras were allowed in the plant. Most pictures you see are generic shots approved by the wizard in the sky.