M1 Abrams - amber warning beacon attachment to hull?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

M1 Abrams - amber warning beacon attachment to hull?

August 27th, 2017, 11:03 am #1

I've come across several photos of early M1s in Germany with a the amber 'bubblegum' light located on the rear left corner of the engine deck. It sits on top, directly adjacent to the fuel cap but I can see no obvious brackets or fixings to hold it in place (temporary or otherwise).

Does anyone have information or suggestions as to how it was attached to the vehicle and also where it would have been plugged into a power source?

Thanks in advance,

John

August 27th, 2017, 1:10 pm #2

couple of bolt heads that protrude from the top of the back deck. The bracket is probably a simple bent piece of metal.

RobG

August 27th, 2017, 5:54 pm #3

Thanks Rob - I hadn't spotted the single bolthead lurking in that location but it makes sense that a simple metal bracket could be located here.

Regards,
John

September 4th, 2017, 12:43 am #4

I've come across several photos of early M1s in Germany with a the amber 'bubblegum' light located on the rear left corner of the engine deck. It sits on top, directly adjacent to the fuel cap but I can see no obvious brackets or fixings to hold it in place (temporary or otherwise).

Does anyone have information or suggestions as to how it was attached to the vehicle and also where it would have been plugged into a power source?

Thanks in advance,

John
Rotating amber light system or whoopee light
I was in B co 2-64 Armor in Schweinfurt Germany from 83-85. Our lights were mounted by magnets on the battery box lid and connected to the battery terminals with spring clamps. Very often you would see the tank dragging the light down the road until the cord broke.

September 5th, 2017, 1:10 pm #5

Hi Greg,
do you recall where the cords entered the battery box, were they just run under the edge of the lid or routed some other way ?

Thanks,
Sean

September 6th, 2017, 7:19 pm #6

The battery box had a rubber gasket around the edge. The doors had a poor designed locking handle. Some times it took a hammer to move the handles. So usually you did not lock down the door because you would cut the cord. And in our case the cord was just an extension cord with the ends cut off. One end wired to the light and one end with alligator clips and then attached to the battery.
Wish I could find a picture but that was in the early 80's

September 6th, 2017, 8:24 pm #7

Your explanation is more than enough.

Sean