M-ATV Panda 1/35

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

M-ATV Panda 1/35

July 10th, 2012, 8:17 pm #1

For quite a few years I have been primarily an aircraft modeller, but recently I was becoming tired of aircraft and found myself fascinated by the various "MRAP" type vehicles that have evolved to counter the IED threat. This is the first armor model I have finished in many years....in fact the last one I completed was made my Monogram and I remember drooling over the pictures of the Shepherd Paine diorama that were enclosed! I'm thinking maybe 1977?

Enough of that...this model is the first in what I hope to be a collection of MRAPs...I hope to do the Max-Pro, Cougar, and Buffalo as well...but we will see. As a relatively small four wheeled vehicle, I thought this M-ATV would be a quick and simple build. As it turned out it was neither quick nor simple....but enough said about that too I guess.

I tried to match the weathering I have seen in internet photos of real M-ATVs, which typically seem to be dusty at most but otherwise in very good condition.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome!

Last edited by Vinegaroon3 on July 13th, 2012, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 10th, 2012, 9:27 pm #2

Let me be the first to say what a great job you did!
Yours is one of the first I see assembled, painted and weathered. It looks perfect. Subtle and just plainly dusty.Did you add any aftermarket sets? Resin Tyres? anything?
Well, I'm still cussing and swearing, cause I^m tryin' to buy less kits lately but now I have the needed excuse to buy one of those too...

Saved your pics to my HD. Great work. Keep'em coming!

Steven from Munich

July 10th, 2012, 9:56 pm #3

The tires were aftermarket "weighted" resin...but for the life of me I cannot remember what company made them. I added Tamiya fuel/water cans, made the antennaes myself from wire and stainless tubing, and replaced the clear parts on the doors and windshield with tinted acrylic plastic.

About the Panda kit....before people run out and buy it, perhaps a word of warning. I found it to be a very difficult and tedious kit to assemble. The parts count is insanely high, fit is poor in many places, and the instructions are unclear and have countless errors. Perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of the kit involves PE metal parts, and I think this kit would be almost impossible to build well without a proper PE bender tool. Some of the PE assemblies in this kit are by far the most complex I have ever encountered. I don't want to be too critical...because the kit is detailed in most places and includes most of what you need to build a nice model...lets just say if you are anything like me you WILL NOT enjoy the journey. I am actually pleased with myself that I managed to finish it. I almost gave up several times.

On the other hand, if you really enjoy complicated assembly with lots of tiny parts, and enjoy a challenge, this might be just the kit for you.

July 11th, 2012, 5:20 am #4

For quite a few years I have been primarily an aircraft modeller, but recently I was becoming tired of aircraft and found myself fascinated by the various "MRAP" type vehicles that have evolved to counter the IED threat. This is the first armor model I have finished in many years....in fact the last one I completed was made my Monogram and I remember drooling over the pictures of the Shepherd Paine diorama that were enclosed! I'm thinking maybe 1977?

Enough of that...this model is the first in what I hope to be a collection of MRAPs...I hope to do the Max-Pro, Cougar, and Buffalo as well...but we will see. As a relatively small four wheeled vehicle, I thought this M-ATV would be a quick and simple build. As it turned out it was neither quick nor simple....but enough said about that too I guess.

I tried to match the weathering I have seen in internet photos of real M-ATVs, which typically seem to be dusty at most but otherwise in very good condition.

Nice looking build, and the weathering looks perfect...I would try to make sure the windshield swipe matches the arc of the wipers (left side windshield).

July 11th, 2012, 5:59 am #5

You certainly didn't choose the worlds easiest kit to build after many years away from armour, and you pulled it off beautifully.

I heard this one is a bear to build, mine's waiting patiently in my stash for me to muster up the courage to build it... haha

Painting and weathering is great, subtle and balanced just as would be appropriate for this vehicle.

Cheers,
Sven

July 11th, 2012, 6:09 am #6

When I start modelling, I used to build helicopters.. After I finished my first AFV, they turned into a passion for me

Forget planes at least for a while. Because your model looking very good indeed..Colors, wheathering..

Do you advice this kit? I want to buy one..

plastic-in-scale.blogspot.com

July 11th, 2012, 10:06 am #7

I have the Kinetic version, really inspired by your build

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale

July 11th, 2012, 2:30 pm #8

Wow man, lovely. This is the look I will be aiming for when I build mine. Nailed it!

Ben

Things that make u go HMMM!

July 11th, 2012, 4:17 pm #9

When I start modelling, I used to build helicopters.. After I finished my first AFV, they turned into a passion for me

Forget planes at least for a while. Because your model looking very good indeed..Colors, wheathering..

Do you advice this kit? I want to buy one..

Fairly well detailed kit, but extremely difficult to build...at least for me.

Thanks for the kind comments.

July 12th, 2012, 1:46 am #10

Wow man, lovely. This is the look I will be aiming for when I build mine. Nailed it!

Ben

Things that make u go HMMM!
I am impressed, and inspired too, interesting about the build issues, I thought it may be a challenge, and from other comments posted, I believe it will be difficult, but going by your pictures, rewarding!!
Shane.

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to help anyone.