M-ATV on e-bay

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

M-ATV on e-bay

July 15th, 2012, 9:37 am #1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Built-U- ... 4d02e2af05

not affilliated with the seller just amazed at the price
Last edited by jamiesumner on July 15th, 2012, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 15th, 2012, 2:56 pm #2

He forgot to remove the mold seam from the right front coil spring; there's hair on the right front fender; the decal beneath the right front passenger door is silvered.

Those horrendous errors and omissions should be good for at least 75 bucks off the price.

July 15th, 2012, 9:24 pm #3

...the labor and effort to build a kit. I knew a hobby shop owner in Virginia back in the 1990's who built a number of kits for customers. He told me that he charged the price of the kit, plus ten times the kit price. As an example, a lawyer asked him to complete a tractor trailer model to use as a demo model in a court case. He charged the price of the kit, which was 45 dollars, plus 450 bucks for the labor. It also involved some scratch building, and was absolutely beautiful. I think the lawyer got a bargain.

On the other hand, I was approached by a veteran who didn't build kits but wanted a M109 SP howitzer that looked like one he served on. The local hobby shop got him in contact with me and he enthusiastically agreed to pay what I would charge him to build the kit, which was the old Italeri M109. I thought I did an outstanding job, and I even provided the kit out of my own stash. But he paid the 75 dollars I charged him reluctantly, and with much complaining. I was really hurt, because if you broke down the time I spent building, painting and matching to his reference it worked out roughly six bucks an hour. Because of that experiance, and the limited time I have to build for myself, I will not build for others. More power to those who do!

Cheers,

Richard