M-41 Walker Bulldog engine bay

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

M-41 Walker Bulldog engine bay

August 28th, 2012, 8:13 pm #1

Hi all,

I'm currently building the Bulldog, but as I could also buy the engine of the M-41 I want to use this in the kit and diorama. So I have some questions:
- Where could I find pictures/drawings/info of the engine bay and how the engine is "positioned and cabled" in the bay?
- As I want to show the engine being pulled out of the M-41 in the field, which was the "machine" that could pull the engine? Is a M-88 an option?

Any info is useful: I searched the web (Prime Portal), book ("M41 in action") but no clear pictures of what the engine bay looks like in detail.

Thanks for your help.
Hugo

August 29th, 2012, 6:02 am #2

Too early for M88s.

August 29th, 2012, 7:23 am #3

Hi all,

I'm currently building the Bulldog, but as I could also buy the engine of the M-41 I want to use this in the kit and diorama. So I have some questions:
- Where could I find pictures/drawings/info of the engine bay and how the engine is "positioned and cabled" in the bay?
- As I want to show the engine being pulled out of the M-41 in the field, which was the "machine" that could pull the engine? Is a M-88 an option?

Any info is useful: I searched the web (Prime Portal), book ("M41 in action") but no clear pictures of what the engine bay looks like in detail.

Thanks for your help.
Hugo
Hi Hugo,

This should be of some help.

cheers
David

August 29th, 2012, 4:21 pm #4

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.
Hugo
Once you decide that, then you can decide on the wrecker to pull it! Also, there was the venerable M-578, M-728 and a slew of wheeled wreckers also.

August 29th, 2012, 5:06 pm #5

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.
Hugo

HTH

H.P.

August 29th, 2012, 6:15 pm #6

Too early for M88s.
When I was a young man my father shared an opportunity to go for a "tank ride". The Nebraska Army National Guard had recently acquired land at the old Atlas Missles base near Mead, NE and was moving their tracked equipment from Camp Ashland up to Mead (about 15-20 miles). Being a teenage in love with tanks I chose to ride in the M41 (Troop E/167CAv, 67th Inf. Bde, Mecz). The other item being moved that day was this big monster of a recovery vehicle - the first time I ever saw an M88. It sure dwarfed that M41! So, yes, for a brief period the M41 and M88 DID serve together. E/167 later played "musical tanks" as equipment came down the pipeline. I remember seeing M48A3s, M60s and M48A5s and I believe they got M1s before being restructured.

August 29th, 2012, 8:06 pm #7

Once you decide that, then you can decide on the wrecker to pull it! Also, there was the venerable M-578, M-728 and a slew of wheeled wreckers also.
Hi Mark,

I would like to go for the most recent period possible. I thought that I could also use the M88 (the David and Goliath theme, you know!), but that seems to be out of the question?! Although I thought that the M88 had served in Vietnam. But I don't know if the M41 was present under US flag at that place and time and they were operated together.

Thanks.
Hugo

August 30th, 2012, 1:55 am #8

You would need to use the M32 or M74 as Gary states. The US used them between the Korean war and the Vietnam war. There were no M41s used by US forces in Vietnam. They were used by the ARVN (S. Vietnamese Army) in Vietnam and would have been serviced by ARVN M88 or M74 ARVs.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

Last edited by Gino P. Quintiliani on August 30th, 2012, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

August 30th, 2012, 2:27 am #9

Might the ARVN had any of these? Saw a couple pictures in Vietnam tracks.

September 2nd, 2012, 8:41 pm #10

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.
Hugo
Thanks, guys!!! (N/T)