M-16 Haltrack Ammo Chest Stenciling?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

M-16 Haltrack Ammo Chest Stenciling?

June 15th, 2012, 8:29 pm #1

Hello,

I'm currently building Dragon's kit with the Griffon upgrade (5 months and counting...talk about small parts!) The decal sheet includes yellow and white stenciling for the M2 Ammunition Chests. I think this would look really cool on the model, but I can't find a single period photo that shows them, and I've found quite a few that show none. I've searched this site, googled, and looked at the Squadron, Osprey and Hunnicitt books. The only stenciled chests I've seen are on recent, restored vehicles. I also noticed Steve Zaloga's build doesn't have the stencils.

As I mentioned, I'd love to add them if they could be accurate. Anyone have any pics, and if so, would yellow or white be more likely correct? I have the Archer Transfers stencil set and it only includes yellow.

Thanks for any help!

Terry Barrett
Raleigh, NC

PS - If anyone is interested the build log is over on Armorama, I prefer this site, but a full step by step log didn't seem to fit any of the forums here!

http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modl ... 81#1564659

Mods, feel free to remove the link if this isn't kosher to post on ML!
Last edited by terrybarrett on June 15th, 2012, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2012, 9:23 pm #2

Terry,
It's very hard to see in most photos and to add to that, it probably wore off pretty quickly with the reloading of the drums. There are some images in "US Half-Tracks in Combat 1941-1945". I can't tell by those photos if it was yellow or white or possibly both were used.

Jim Guld
Cheers
Jim Guld

June 15th, 2012, 9:39 pm #3

Hello,

I'm currently building Dragon's kit with the Griffon upgrade (5 months and counting...talk about small parts!) The decal sheet includes yellow and white stenciling for the M2 Ammunition Chests. I think this would look really cool on the model, but I can't find a single period photo that shows them, and I've found quite a few that show none. I've searched this site, googled, and looked at the Squadron, Osprey and Hunnicitt books. The only stenciled chests I've seen are on recent, restored vehicles. I also noticed Steve Zaloga's build doesn't have the stencils.

As I mentioned, I'd love to add them if they could be accurate. Anyone have any pics, and if so, would yellow or white be more likely correct? I have the Archer Transfers stencil set and it only includes yellow.

Thanks for any help!

Terry Barrett
Raleigh, NC

PS - If anyone is interested the build log is over on Armorama, I prefer this site, but a full step by step log didn't seem to fit any of the forums here!

Veru useful for refs.

Cheers
Andrew

June 15th, 2012, 11:28 pm #4

Hello,

Thanks for any help!

Terry Barrett
Raleigh, NC

White letters, yellow letters and none. Depends who/when the cans were manufactured, I even have even seen them with embossed letters.

Here's a photo showing the stencils on cans in WWII, just make sure you place the arrows the correct way, as the decals are 'handed'

[/IMG]

http://armorfarm.blogspot.com/

June 16th, 2012, 12:20 am #5

For the replies guys! That's just the documentation I needed!

Terry

June 16th, 2012, 2:01 am #6

awesome

June 16th, 2012, 1:12 pm #7

For the kind words Jamie and Andrew, this thing has turned into a monster, I'm so happy to finally be putting some paint on it. I haven't counted, but I am pretty sure it is around the 1000 part mark!

Terry