LSSAH Sd.Kfz. 231's?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

LSSAH Sd.Kfz. 231's?

May 1st, 2012, 5:31 pm #1

Hello!

Just got the AFV Club Sd.Kfz. 231 kit and would like to build it as LSSAH vehicle from French campaign in 1940. Found some pics from "Leibstandarte in Bild" but not many good ones. Would anybody have some good pics and/or ideas if someone makes suitable decals?

-EK

May 2nd, 2012, 3:47 am #2

Hi,

The LAH only had two of these vehicles during the French campaign, one from the original two issued to the unit in 1937, and one a replacement for the vehicle lost on the first day of the war in Poland.

However, as there was one 8 Rad KO'd early in the campaign, it may be only one took much part in the Battle of France.

The two vehicles were

SS-1088 'Körner II' (replacement for the 'Körner' lost in Poland)
SS-1089 'Laforce' (original vehicle from 1937)

The LAH also had two SdKfz 232

SS-1090 'Faust II' (replacement for original vehicle 'Faust' also lost on the first day of combat in Poland)
SS-1091 'Casella' (original vehicle from 1937)

Laforce was photographed throughout the campaign so would be the best bet for a LAH SdKfz 231 in France, 1940.

I have researched a set of decals for Echelon, which hopefully will be released in the future, which covers all of these 8 Rad vehicles of the LAH.

Cheers
Steve

Interested in and researching the vehicles and weapons of the Leibstandarte

May 2nd, 2012, 7:52 am #3

Hello Steve!

Thank you for quick reply, Echelon decal set sounds good, I'll get one when it's out.

With best wishes,
Esko

May 2nd, 2012, 1:29 pm #4

Hi,

The LAH only had two of these vehicles during the French campaign, one from the original two issued to the unit in 1937, and one a replacement for the vehicle lost on the first day of the war in Poland.

However, as there was one 8 Rad KO'd early in the campaign, it may be only one took much part in the Battle of France.

The two vehicles were

SS-1088 'Körner II' (replacement for the 'Körner' lost in Poland)
SS-1089 'Laforce' (original vehicle from 1937)

The LAH also had two SdKfz 232

SS-1090 'Faust II' (replacement for original vehicle 'Faust' also lost on the first day of combat in Poland)
SS-1091 'Casella' (original vehicle from 1937)

Laforce was photographed throughout the campaign so would be the best bet for a LAH SdKfz 231 in France, 1940.

I have researched a set of decals for Echelon, which hopefully will be released in the future, which covers all of these 8 Rad vehicles of the LAH.

Cheers
Steve

Interested in and researching the vehicles and weapons of the Leibstandarte
compiling a book concerning the vehicles of LSSAH? Given the undiminished popularity of books concerning the Waffen SS I think it would be a good bet and certainly a plus for modelers?
Just sayin'
J