LSSAH Panthers in Ardennes.

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

LSSAH Panthers in Ardennes.

February 14th, 2012, 3:26 pm #1

Most images i've seen of LSSAH Panthers in the Ardennes have a vey particular track hanger on the turret, so is the metal set with the DML S/W vehicle close to the configuration or does one have to redo them? Also were the extra track sections issued for this purpose or sourced from their usual location on the rear hull? Many thanks Paul

February 14th, 2012, 11:12 pm #2

Paul,

I held off answering figuring that someone would chip in before me.

The LSSAH seem to have adopted the practice of welding hangers to turrets well before the Ardennes. There are photos of the LSSAH moving through Belgium in May 1944 with the turret hangers already in place.

The hangers were solid rod spot welded onto the turret roof and sides. The remains can be seen on the Panther A's at APG and Borden (they've now fabricated a full set of hangers at CWM). I think that the details in DML Steelwheel kit captures that look very well.

And regarding the links themselves, there are often more links on turrets than would fit on the rear racks so I assume that they were issued specifically for the turret hangers.

HTH Bruce

February 15th, 2012, 12:16 am #3

Most images i've seen of LSSAH Panthers in the Ardennes have a vey particular track hanger on the turret, so is the metal set with the DML S/W vehicle close to the configuration or does one have to redo them? Also were the extra track sections issued for this purpose or sourced from their usual location on the rear hull? Many thanks Paul
Hi,

I think Bruce has said it well. Just to add that the LAH first used Panthers in the Ukraine during winter 1943-44, and at some point during this engagement started putting the track on the turrets for extra protection.

Cheers
Steve

Interested in and researching the vehicles and weapons of the Leibstandarte

February 15th, 2012, 3:04 pm #4

Paul,

I held off answering figuring that someone would chip in before me.

The LSSAH seem to have adopted the practice of welding hangers to turrets well before the Ardennes. There are photos of the LSSAH moving through Belgium in May 1944 with the turret hangers already in place.

The hangers were solid rod spot welded onto the turret roof and sides. The remains can be seen on the Panther A's at APG and Borden (they've now fabricated a full set of hangers at CWM). I think that the details in DML Steelwheel kit captures that look very well.

And regarding the links themselves, there are often more links on turrets than would fit on the rear racks so I assume that they were issued specifically for the turret hangers.

HTH Bruce
Cheers Paul

February 15th, 2012, 3:05 pm #5

Hi,

I think Bruce has said it well. Just to add that the LAH first used Panthers in the Ukraine during winter 1943-44, and at some point during this engagement started putting the track on the turrets for extra protection.

Cheers
Steve

Interested in and researching the vehicles and weapons of the Leibstandarte
Many thanks Steve, much appreciated. n/t