Lorraine 37L in German use

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Lorraine 37L in German use

June 17th, 2012, 2:22 pm #1

RPM make a 1/72 scale kit of the Lorraine 37L tractor as used by the Germans.
One of the camo schemes shown is that of 15th Pz Div North Africa 1942.
Is there any evidence that these vehicles were in use by that unit at that time?

Thanks.

June 18th, 2012, 8:21 pm #2

I also thought about building the same model a while ago. From what I remember when I looked into it, only the SPA version with the 15cm howitzer was sent to N. Africa. But on the other hand, if they sent the howitzer, they would have needed some way to transport the ammo. Try the ML search with "Lorraine +Africa" (without quotes) and it will turn up several discussions.
I have the Spielberger book on Beutepanzers but it only mentions Normandy, not N. Africa (I think; my German is almost non-existant). You can see the photo from this book in this post on Axis history wesite:http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=177818
Schiffer has an English translation of a Waffen Arsenal book on captured French tanks but I have never seen it. It's hard to find any photos of the vehicle. I have been watching your post since it went up, hoping that someone would post a library of photos. I guess it was just one of those vehicles that wasn't interesting enough to warrant a photo that often.

Good luck in your search,
Jeff

June 18th, 2012, 11:53 pm #3

Thanks Jeff.

looks like I might have bought a "white elephant". As I only build kits of vehicles & guns that were used in the Western desert 1940-1942.

The box art shows it towing a 5cm PaK 38.

I wondered about ammo carrier, because the Sdkfz 135/1 you mention is so small, it would need one, but I guess they just used lorries.

I'll keep my eyes on this thread, just in case someone can turn some thing up to our advantage.