Looking for RR Armoured car

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Looking for RR Armoured car

pete lindstrom
pete lindstrom

November 13th, 2004, 2:29 pm #1

Hello, I am wondering if any one can help me , I am looking for a RR Armoured Car in 1/72 or 1/76 scale. Does anyone happen to know where i can get one? Thank you kindley in advance for your help. Cheers Pete

Peter Kempf
Peter Kempf

November 13th, 2004, 3:47 pm #2

Milicast does a OK Royce-Rolls A/C in 1/76. In resin. It is the 20-ies version, but it can be backdated pretty easily. (Except for the spoked wheels, that is.)

All the best
/Peter K

Nick Balmer
Nick Balmer

November 13th, 2004, 7:28 pm #3

Hello, I am wondering if any one can help me , I am looking for a RR Armoured Car in 1/72 or 1/76 scale. Does anyone happen to know where i can get one? Thank you kindley in advance for your help. Cheers Pete
Hello,

This is a slightly flippant reply, but I was rather surprised to briefly see a 1920 Pattern Rolls Royce armoured car on the back of a truck going through London on the Euston Road.

It did not appear to be a replica. If it was, it was a very good one.

It was newly painted battleship grey, and had "Tom Keogh" painted on the top at the front of the turret over the machine gun aperture.

Is it the one that belongs to the Tank Museum, or is there another one preserved somewhere?

Regards

Nick Balmer

Mike Starmer
Mike Starmer

November 14th, 2004, 4:26 pm #4

You can get a 1920 model with solid wheels from Milicast and Matador Models and a late 1924 model with Napier turret from SHQ.

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

November 14th, 2004, 10:22 pm #5

like Peter says, Milicast do a 1/76 1920 pattern. i bought one and am in the process of knocking it together. i really like it, although just as the review on Landships says, the chassis sub-frame was a bit warped and requires a bit of chopping. i got some photo-etch spoke wheels from scalelink. can provide you with more details by e-mail if you like. the service from Milicast was absolutely brilliant, really fast and really friendly. the owner is a MAFVA member, so you can have a really good natter!

i also considered Matador Models 1920 pattern, but was swayed by the pictures posted on the sites.

Reviresco also make loads of Rollers; but i was put off by potential import customs (i live in sunny north-east england) and the review on Landships site, which says they had to hit it with a hammer to get parts to fit!!!!

getting spoked wheels was surprisingly difficult!! i considered asking Matador if they would sell me an extra set of wheels if i bought their RR tender, but Matador are really hard to contact - snail mail or Fax only!! then i thought i'd buy a toy vintage car with spoked wheels but nobody sells them anymore unless you want to pay £30 for a collectors edition. But then I found Scalelink, they sell 3 different sets and one of them is just the right size.

got a large number of RR photos on my yahoo page if you're interested.

the two reviews (Milicast and Reviresco) and all the contact details you might want are on the Landships site.

hope that helps

Phil

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

November 14th, 2004, 10:36 pm #6

Cromwell do a Roller too, but lets just say i am a very long way from impressed in any way with the service from Cromwell (although the kits i eventually got from them - LK2 and Mk5* - look rather splendid)

I suspect that the Cromwell Roller will so accurately depict a 1924 or 1929 pattern that it would be more difficult to turn it into a 1914 pattern. and you would have to endure Cromwell's indifferent service!!!

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

November 15th, 2004, 9:03 pm #7

For comparison

Reviresco’s 1914 pattern, white metal,

http://www.tin-soldier.com/sg/rr1.htm

http://www.tin-soldier.com/sg/opentop.htm

Milicast’s 1920 pattern, resin,

Cromwell’s model, circa 1939, resin, two views can be found on

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cromwell/

review of Reviresco’s model

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/fl ... sroyce.htm

review of Milicast’s model

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/mi ... review.htm

loads of credit to peter because i just followed all the links from his site!! thanks peter

November 16th, 2004, 2:33 am #8

Hello,

This is a slightly flippant reply, but I was rather surprised to briefly see a 1920 Pattern Rolls Royce armoured car on the back of a truck going through London on the Euston Road.

It was newly painted battleship grey, and had "Tom Keogh" painted on the top at the front of the turret over the machine gun aperture.

Is it the one that belongs to the Tank Museum, or is there another one preserved somewhere?

Regards

Nick Balmer
No, the the one you saw is not the one from The Tank Museum (H3830). There are three 1920 RR AC's in existence (all served in Ireland), unfortuantely no other versions survied. Two are in Museum collections, the other one in the Irish army museum at Curragh Camp (ARR 2). The third one (ARR 1), the one you saw, is in privite hands, being reconstructed from the twelve of thirteen scrapped by Ireland in 1954.

November 16th, 2004, 2:35 am #9

like Peter says, Milicast do a 1/76 1920 pattern. i bought one and am in the process of knocking it together. i really like it, although just as the review on Landships says, the chassis sub-frame was a bit warped and requires a bit of chopping. i got some photo-etch spoke wheels from scalelink. can provide you with more details by e-mail if you like. the service from Milicast was absolutely brilliant, really fast and really friendly. the owner is a MAFVA member, so you can have a really good natter!

i also considered Matador Models 1920 pattern, but was swayed by the pictures posted on the sites.

Reviresco also make loads of Rollers; but i was put off by potential import customs (i live in sunny north-east england) and the review on Landships site, which says they had to hit it with a hammer to get parts to fit!!!!

getting spoked wheels was surprisingly difficult!! i considered asking Matador if they would sell me an extra set of wheels if i bought their RR tender, but Matador are really hard to contact - snail mail or Fax only!! then i thought i'd buy a toy vintage car with spoked wheels but nobody sells them anymore unless you want to pay £30 for a collectors edition. But then I found Scalelink, they sell 3 different sets and one of them is just the right size.

got a large number of RR photos on my yahoo page if you're interested.

the two reviews (Milicast and Reviresco) and all the contact details you might want are on the Landships site.

hope that helps

Phil
Could you publish a link or address of your Yahoo web site with the RR AC photos?

John Harris
John Harris

November 16th, 2004, 5:04 pm #10

Hello,

Regards

Nick Balmer
The RR (and a modern Challenger MBT) were taking part in the Lord Mayor's show last Saturday (13th November).

So, I guess they trailered it up from the TM.

JH